Issue with a wireless network sharing an internet connection between two houses - are my directional antennas my bottleneck?

hurderp

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
I have a wireless network sharing an internet connection between two houses. The distance between the antennas is about 300ft and there is a clear line of sight between the two. We have a HAWKING HAO14SDP Hi-Gain 14dBi Outdoor Directional Antenna at each house hooked into a wireless router at one end and a wireless repeater at the other - we have been running this configuration for about 5 years...

I recently upgraded my router on one end (From a WRT54GS to a Linksys WRT1900AC) and my repeater on the other end (From a Hawking HWREN1 to a Linksys AC1200 MAX). The wireless signal strength for both the router and the repeater is excellent at each end.

I am not however seeing the download speeds I was expecting - consistent internet download speeds of +- 25mbps on the router end and +- 5mbps on the repeater end. The 5mbps on the repeater end is so consistent (both download and upload) that I feel like there is a bottle neck somewhere that limits speeds to 5mbps. I'm thinking it may be my antennas. Am I right? Should I upgrade them? If so, what would you recommend?

Solution
I'd say it's most definitely the antennas. The ones you have are only for wireless b/g.

You probably want to upgrade to something that can do wireless N at least.

I'll let some more experienced posters reply for specifics, I'm not that up to date on the best devices. I know that Ubiquiti makes some good stuff.

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I'd say it's most definitely the antennas. The ones you have are only for wireless b/g.

You probably want to upgrade to something that can do wireless N at least.

I'll let some more experienced posters reply for specifics, I'm not that up to date on the best devices. I know that Ubiquiti makes some good stuff.

Solution