Question Issue with BIOS Flashback on MSI Pro Z690-A ?

Feb 22, 2023
New motherboard came in and I'm having a hard time trying to flash the BIOS with the flashback button (so that the board is compatible with my 13600k). I have only the 24-pin power and the 8-pin CPU (in the CPU-1 slot) hooked up. No RAM, CPU, or SSD.

I have the USB drives formatted to FAT32 and they're all under 32GB. BIOS file is renamed to MSI.ROM as well on each of them.

I plug the PSU in, flip the PSU switch, plug the USB drive in, and press the flashback button. The light for the flashback blinks a few times, the debug light comes on for the CPU, and then the flashback button starts blinking more rapidly, like it's supposed to.

The issue I'm having, with 6 different drives now, is that it never stops blinking. I've waited for up to an hour with each different drive. Not sure if this means it's stuck, fails flashing, etc. and I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Feb 22, 2023
Update on this: Got an i3 for it temporarily installed, made sure the 24-pin and 8-pin power cables were plugged in, tried starting up the computer and nothing. Flipped the power switch cable around, tried shorting the power pins, took the board out of the case, different PSU, computer would not start at all. So looks like it's actually just DoA and that would explain why it was having issues with the BIOS flashback. Will have the replacement board tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS