[SOLVED] Issue with crashes in games. Tried multiple different troubleshoots on GPU driver. Not sure if GPU itself is the issue ?

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
I gave my father in law my old pc which I knew was working fine, I had no issues I just built a new system. I did a clean install of Windows before giving it to him and did the usual of windows updates, installed a new GPU driver etc.

He's tried to play Football Manager 2021 and a few Command & Conquer games. He was getting crashes with the error:

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

I did some research and saw there was an issue with the driver. I used a DDU following the instructions carefully and reinstalled an older Nvidia driver (about 3 drivers older than the current) just so I knew it would be stable.

After this it gave another error saying:

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

I looked this up and found to add into regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - System - CurrentControlSet - Control - GraphicsDrivers- Added DWORD(32bit)- Typed in TdrLevel

I thought this had fixed it but now he seems to either get a freeze now and again in the game or just a crash to desktop with no error.

I set the max FPS of FM21 to 60 and dropped the graphics to Medium in case that was the issue.

I'm not sure what else to try, it's seeming like there's a big problem with the Driver but I don't know what to try, I figured the DDU would of got rid of anything causing an issue.

I've not put any software on to monitor temps of the GPU etc but Looking at Task manager when the game is on, the GPU doesn't have much utilisation and the temps is around 53 Degrees.

There is no Overclocks on the GPU. However I'm not fully familiar with overclocking, I never did it myself so I'm not sure if there is maybe an auto one on in the Bios?

I found out he knocked the tower over at one point and left it knocked over, when I found that out I re-seated the RAM and GPU.

Could this knock over have caused an issue with the GPU?

Could a complete reinstall of Windows solve my issues?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
So knocking over the tower may have damaged the pcie slot the gpu is in. Check to see if the pcie slot is damaged in any way, bent pins, chipped plastic on slot etc. Same thing for the bottom of the bottom of the gpu, make sure there is nothing bent on the seating/gold footing.
Try and let windows install the driver first so that it is in the windows files. So go to device manager, display adapter, uninstall device, then reinstall device letting windows find driver. Then Install a driver from Nvidia. Then when the Nvidia files are installed use default settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. See if this helps.

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
Try and let windows install the driver first so that it is in the windows files. So go to device manager, display adapter, uninstall device, then reinstall device letting windows find driver. Then Install a driver from Nvidia. Then when the Nvidia files are installed use default settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. See if this helps.
Hi,
This didn't seem to help. The PC now will just randomly freeze at stages and will not respond so I have to hold the power button down and turn it back on. I check reliability monitor and it just tells me there was a hardware issue.

So knocking over the tower may have damaged the pcie slot the gpu is in. Check to see if the pcie slot is damaged in any way, bent pins, chipped plastic on slot etc. Same thing for the bottom of the bottom of the gpu, make sure there is nothing bent on the seating/gold footing.

Solution