Question Issue with fresh install of os x from bootable usb

ayg

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
System Specs: Macbook pro mid-2012, with core i5 second gen, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; was pre-installed with OS X 10.7.5

Issue: Since most apps were not working and system was not allowing any upgrade from app store, so I had cleaned the hdd and its all blank now. Looking for a fresh install of OS.
Downloaded OS X El Capitan from https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201260 and prepared a bootable usb using TransMac.
Now when I hit option key immediately after pressing power button, I get option of internet recovery. I do not see my plugged in bootable usb pendrive. What could be wrong here?
[Also have tried other options such as option+command+r which will not serve the purpose.]

ayg

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
Deleted member 1272431 post: 21824746 said:
Is your USB formatted in Journaled and GUI partition.
If that is not the issue, try using the terminal to create a bootable drive.
Third party programmes might sometimes miss something.
Thanks Deleted member 1272431 for taking time to read my question and reply back. The case with using terminal is ruled out as now old OS is also wiped out and I can not boot into any OS. I have another system with windows 10 where I tried to get Mac terminal set up but could not get it. Is there a way to do from window's command prompt or any other better utility for windows?

ayg

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
Thanks, @macmanaman for taking the time to read my question and reply back. The case for drive in a windows-friendly format is ruled out as I have formatted it with mac supported format only. With more analysis, I found that the issue could be due to the fact that I am using a 8GB pendrive as bootable usb device for this purpose or the fact that TransMac may be missing some file(s) rendering bootable USB incomplete.
After investing a lot of time with Mac OS, I had installed Windows 10 in it after formatting the disk to windows format. Next, I see the option to get a new SSD wherein I can start the process again.
Please let me know if you suggest a better and shorter way to get back to Mac OS X [XI won't be supported in this :( ]

You’re doing everything right - the problem seems to be in the format of your drive. Macs are only compatible with HFS+, FAT32 and ExFAT. It’s likely that your drive is in a windows-friendly format such as NTFS.

Normally, you would be able to reformat your drive through Disk Utility, but I understand that you can’t mount it on your Mac and hence it’s not displayed in the list of disks. You can reformat it using a Windows device. Here’s what to do:
  1. Connect the drive to a Windows PC;
  2. Open Disk Management by following Control Panel → Administrative tools → Create and format disk partitions. Or you can simply search for “disk management” in Windows search;
  3. Right-click on the external drive’s partition in the list. From the drop-down menu select “New Simple Volume”;
  4. Choose a volume size and assign a letter to your drive;
  5. In the Format Partition screen, select exFat as the file system;
  6. Give the volume a name and finish the process.
Now you should be able to see the drive on your Mac when you try to use it to install macOS.
Thanks @Deleted member 1272431 for taking time to read my question and reply back.

ayg

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
@ayg
Did you solve it?
No @Deleted member 1272431, had not put in any more time recently on this Mac. Had installed windows 10 as an experiment and fun but that's for sure an insult for a Mac machine :D

Looking to get a external HDD/SSD to prepare a fresh bootable usb( previous was a 8gb pendrive which could not have created a proper bootable drive). Another option I am looking for this Mac is to get a new SSD but there again I need an external SSD, to begin with. My office is presently shut due to COVID-19 situation and thus I am in my hometown where I do not have access to quality h/w and great internet speed which is as well limiting the pace to get this Mac back to life again.