[SOLVED] Issue with Hardware reserved memory and XMP

Osteen Paul Poyyayil

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
I have an MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX motherboard with Ryzen 2400G and 8gb Corsair Ram,in bios i was using XMP profile 2.

Today i bought another 8gb ram but in taskmanager there was only 13.9gb usable and 2.1gb was hardware reserved.
I disabled integrated GPU and everything but it did not reduce the system reserved memory . I also tried motherboard default settings and none solved it.

Then i disabled integrated GPU, disabled XMP and now 15.9gb ram was usable but the RAM speed shown is 2133MHz (but its 3000MHz ram, right?).
But whenever i try to use XMP (any profile), 2.1gb will be system reserved. Then i have to reset motherboard settings to default settings and disable those things to use all available ram.
Any answer as to why it is like this? and please suggest a fix.

Solution
It could be both sticks aren't exactly the same and the difference is enough to cause the odd behavior. Corsair don't always use same memory maker, can be a few different makes. Even if sticks have same names. Different version numbers can be different makers
Solution could be use a set of 16gb ram as they tested to work together

maybe test both sticks with memtest and see they okay

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the difference. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Colif

Win 11 Master
It could be both sticks aren't exactly the same and the difference is enough to cause the odd behavior. Corsair don't always use same memory maker, can be a few different makes. Even if sticks have same names. Different version numbers can be different makers

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the difference. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Solution

Osteen Paul Poyyayil

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014

I tested by plugging 1 ram module at a time, then each one works at 3000MHz with 7.9g usable. Problem occurs when i use both of ram modules together.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I see your posts everywhere.

Conclusion......confused/corrupted Bios. By removing all ram and rebooting the system looses previous memory settings but leaving the sticks in and updating Bios did not reset the RAM timing or change the hardware reserved issue.
So I suggest removing the ram and reinserting 1 at a time with fresh ram settings and to reset BIOS by removing Battery and powering off completely to put Bios to default setting. I suspect the hardware reserved RAM would have been dedicated to on CPU graphics but my CPU does not have a GPU built in like some other Ryzens.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...2-gb-of-ram-is-being-hardware-reserved/page-3