[SOLVED] Issue with installing a 2nd m.2 nvme drive?

tfood1409

Commendable
Jul 7, 2018
Hey all so recently I bought a 2nd m.2 nvme drive a western digital black sn750 to use as an extra drive for games and stuff. My main one is a Samsung 970 evo plus and then I have 2 more Samsung evo 860 traditional ssds. I installed the new m.2 and then I would get an error that says something along the lines "reboot and select a proper boot device". I did the whole boot priority thing and all of my 4 drives are being seen in the BIOS. My motherboard supports in 1 m.2 slot pcie 4.0 and the other m.2 pcie 3.0 as well as SATA. I reinstalled windows 10 and it works flawlessly now like it should. Even though it works does anyone have an explanation as to why this might have happened?

My mother board is a MSI x570 MPG edge wifi. I looked at the manual and it no where says anything about m.2 and sata interference.

Solution
Hey all so recently I bought a 2nd m.2 nvme drive a western digital black sn750 to use as an extra drive for games and stuff. My main one is a Samsung 970 evo plus and then I have 2 more Samsung evo 860 traditional ssds. I installed the new m.2 and then I would get an error that says something along the lines "reboot and select a proper boot device". I did the whole boot priority thing and all of my 4 drives are being seen in the BIOS. My motherboard supports in 1 m.2 slot pcie 4.0 and the other m.2 pcie 3.0 as well as SATA. I reinstalled windows 10 and it works flawlessly now like it should. Even though it works does anyone have an explanation as to why this might have happened?

My mother board is a MSI x570 MPG edge wifi. I...

USAFRet

Titan

My mother board is a MSI x570 MPG edge wifi. I looked at the manual and it no where says anything about m.2 and sata interference.
What drive was the OS on?
Was there more than one drive connected when you installed it?

Likely you had more than one drive connected when you installed the OS on the 970.
This resulted in the boot partition residing on some other drive..one of the SATA connected ones.

Connecting the second NVMe in the M.2 port likely disabled one or more SATA ports. Said SATA port is the one where the SATA drive holding the boot partition was connected.
Being disabled, no boot for you.

Solution