Question Issue with Intel NUC11ATK C4000 Mini PC -- No USB ports work after Windows 11 update ?

Oct 3, 2024
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I need help with one of my Intel NUC11ATK C4000 Mini PCs.
It updated its Windows 11 to the most recent version, and after doing so, I couldn't get any mice or keyboards to work, even though I knew the mouse and keyboard were in working order. I did some more tests, and it looks like the USB ports aren't supplying any power, as no USB device turns on when plugged in.

It seems like I have problem after problem with these Nucs.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for your help!

Oct 3, 2024
My bad.

It boots normally and takes me to the login page. I just cant get a usb mouse, keyboard, usb stick, or usb anything to work. So I can't log in, or access bios. Unless there is some other way to interact with the bios without a keyboard.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
As a last resort:

1). Check to see if the NUC has an M.2 NVMe drive (see RHS of photo).
csm_NUC_N6005_6_a6802a3c77.jpg

2). Unplug M.2 drive and store carefully.
3). Fit new M.2 drive.
4). Plug bootable Windows USB install drive into NUC.
5). Power on and pray.
6). If BIOS recognises USB drive, install Windows.

This will show if Windows Update has disabled the driver, or it's a basic hardware fault.

Oct 3, 2024
driver wouldn't disable bios access. sound like something else. try removing the storage and see if it let you get into bios
The thing is I'm not sure if bios is disabled. I just can't access the bios because I can't get a usb keyboard to connect to press any keys to enter the bios. Unless there is a way to do so without a keyboard. In the meantime, I'll try removing the storage and doing what @Misgar said and see if that works. Thanks!

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
The thing is I'm not sure if bios is disabled.
If the computer boots up, the BIOS must be working, even if you can't use any USB peripherals. The BIOS is an essential part of the motherboard and runs all the time in the background. You only interact directly with the BIOS when you press 'Del' at startup. The BIOS remains hidden the rest of the time and interfaces between the OS, e.g. Windows/Linux and the actual hardware on the mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM.

Despite USB connectivity disappearing after a Windows Update, there's a vgue chance the USB chipset has died. Stranger things have happened.

I have several old systems where the only way to get into the BIOS is to temporarily add a PS/2 keyboard to the system. The normal USB keyboard doesn't "wake up" fast enough at switch on and the BIOS doesn't notice you're spamming 'Del'. The PS/2 keyboard takes less time to initialize and hence responds to 'Del'. Unfortunately your NUC doesn't have a PS/2 port so you're stuck.

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
You need to plug in a touchscreen into a screen port and touch the Accessibility option in the bottom-right of the login screen, then switch on the onscreen keyboard and touch and tab around without a mouse. Then you can get into the system and check if the usb ports are able to be reset, or alternatively uninstall the win11 problem update. Hopefully !

Alternatively, use a monitor with usb ports built-in and plug into those for the keyboard/mouse, bypassing the nuc usb's in case they are damaged onboard.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2024
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your comments. I was able to sit down and do some tests and I believe I was able to narrow down the problem to being a drivers issue.

As after further testing, the usb and mouse are provided power for a short amount of time before Windows fully boots. After which they lose any power. Now I just have to figure out how to roll back the windows 11 update with no keyboard or mouse, as some of you have pointed out some options. Unfortunately I don't have any of the items you recomended.

If anyone has any more ideas on how to roll back a windows 11 update without a mouse or keyboard I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for all of your help.

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
I think you are stuck if you cant use a touchscreen or monitor with usb ports for keyboard & mouse. If it wont power long for the usb ports to be usable then im out of ideas. Below is a link to explain update removal.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...s-update-c77b8f9b-e4dc-4e9f-a803-fdec12e59fb0

Think you will need to take it to the local computer shop to gain access to a monitor that is suitable or get them to gain access and do the rollback..
Good Luck with it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS