[SOLVED] issue with monitor arm

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I am using the Wali gas spring single mount monitor arm with a 32" display.

As I was adjusting my moving my monitor position today, the monitor arm seems to have "lost the ability" to hold the monitor straight and in place.

It was working before, but now when I fix my monitor in the position I want it so it it is facing straight ahead, as soon as I let go the monitor swings to the left side with the arm making a creaking sound.

I tried adjusting both gas spring and tilt but have been unable to fix the issue..

Anyone have any idea what is going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks

Solution
the monitor arm seems to have "lost the ability" to hold the monitor straight and in place
had the same issue with my wall mounted VESA arm.
after ~2 years of use the ability to pivot stopped working, would just droop and turn a bit towards a side as soon as letting go.

i added a couple rubber washers and tightened the screws holding the pivot head in place and it worked fine again for ~1 more year.
same thing ended up happening again though as the rubber wore out.
by then it was too late to RMA for replacement.

i've stopped using it but still have it attached to the wall in case i ever feel like "fixing" it again.
the monitor arm seems to have "lost the ability" to hold the monitor straight and in place
after ~2 years of use the ability to pivot stopped working, would just droop and turn a bit towards a side as soon as letting go.

i added a couple rubber washers and tightened the screws holding the pivot head in place and it worked fine again for ~1 more year.

i've stopped using it but still have it attached to the wall in case i ever feel like "fixing" it again.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am using the Wali gas spring single mount monitor arm with a 32" display.

As I was adjusting my moving my monitor position today, the monitor arm seems to have "lost the ability" to hold the monitor straight and in place.

It was working before, but now when I fix my monitor in the position I want it so it it is facing straight ahead, as soon as I let go the monitor swings to the left side with the arm making a creaking sound.

I tried adjusting both gas spring and tilt but have been unable to fix the issue..

Anyone have any idea what is going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks
This one? https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Monitor-Adjustable-Capacity-Extension/dp/B01NBYJ6X6

Watch the video.

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009

That doesn't sound good - sounds like it may be an issue monitor arms may suffer from generally?

Unfortunately I never really used this one. I put it in the closet soon after buying it because my monitor shook too much when using it, and went to using a stand.

I just took it out again because I need more room on my desk and would like to be able to easily change the direction my monitor is facing in the room - the only way I could do that was by using the arm - used it for about two days - and now the arm has developed this issue!

I probably should have returned it right away.

Are there any monitor arms with a reputation for high quality that wouldn't suffer from these issues?

may just have to go back to using a stnad.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That doesn't sound good - sounds like it may be an issue monitor arms may suffer from generally?

Unfortunately I never really used this one. I put it in the closet soon after buying it because my monitor shook too much when using it, and went to using a stand.

I just took it out again because I need more room on my desk and would like to be able to easily change the direction my monitor is facing in the room - the only way I could do that was by using the arm - used it for about two days - and now the arm has developed this issue!

I probably should have returned it right away.

Are there any monitor arms with a reputation for high quality that wouldn't suffer from these issues?

may just have to go back to using a stnad.
Well the video showed how to adjust the pressure.
Buy a new one without the gas shock.

may just have to go back to using a stand.
my last two monitors came with such great stands for cable routing, positioning, etc that i opted to use them anyway.
but that is what i ended up doing with my arm, just ditching it for now.

you haven't replied though if the arm shown in the Amazon product video is the same model and if you have tried adjusting the gas pressure as it shows.

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
my last two monitors came with such great stands for cable routing, positioning, etc that i opted to use them anyway.
but that is what i ended up doing with my arm, just ditching it for now.

you haven't replied though if the arm shown in the Amazon product video is the same model and if you have tried adjusting the gas pressure as it shows.

In my original post I stated that I already tried adjusting the gas pressure - so I know it is not a gas pressure issue. I think you identified the problem in your reply - sounds like exactly the same thing that happened to you.

I have good news though - I wrote the company and they offered to send a replacement. Looks like, if nothing else, I'll get to try it out one more time. My model, unlike yours, attaches to the desk though, not the wall - and I found it did not hold the monitor steady enough - a lot of shaking when I was typing, which was why I originally stopped using it... Will give it one more try and if the results are poor I'll just return to using a stand.