[SOLVED] Issue with monitor green screen due to display driver failure.

Jan 8, 2019
Hello there. After many trials and tribulations I cannot for the life of me fix this problem. My specs are as follows:

Operating System WIndows 7 64 bit
MOTHERBOARD BIOS Version 4.A0
MOTHERBOARD MODEL Z97 PC MATE(MS-7850)
Graphics Card Model AMD Radeon R9 380 Series
Graphics Card BIOS version TV314MH.2A0
Intel Core i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20 GHz
16GB RAM installed

For the past three weeks whenever I run a graphics intensive program (video game, or play a movie) my monitor has been coming up green. A solid green. Firstly it flashes intermittently and then it will stay on the green screen. The music, or sound effects will remain steady in the background. On occasion the computer has recovered and it presents a message "display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

So far I have, checked the hdmi cable for any damage to the prongs, checked the hdmi ports on my GPU and computer and monitor for any damage and there is none. I have tried to use another monitor with a DVI cable and the problem has persisted with a black screen rather then a green on that monitor. I have replaced the hdmi cable and nothing has changed. I updated my GPU drivers without a clean install. I then went back and downloaded DDU (display driver uninstaller) and updated my drivers with a clean install, following the steps to a tee. I have tried a system restore prior to that and have now downloaded Speccy to see if it is a temperature issue. My CPU idle is 40C and running The Witcher on ultra graphics is 50C. I have tried to reduce the graphics but still the problem persists.

I have not disconnected the actual GPU from the motherboard and it could use a clean, I did the best I could without compressed air. So that is where I am at. If anyone has any advice, solutions I am very happy to provide you with as much information as you need.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Solution

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
Looks like a driver problem more than a hw issue. The DDU should have solved the problem. If you have a spare hdd or extra hdd, do a fresh install of windows.

When you see this green flashing screen, press the heatsink of the GPU firmly while providing counter force from the back of the card to see if the GPU has any soldering issues. The soldering problem was a bit common with old AMD GPUS and mobile gpus.

But, your problem looks like a driver issue.

Jan 8, 2019
I do not have a spare HDD, but have tracked down my windows 7 key and disc if it comes to a clean install of windows. Doesn't seem to respond to any pressure on the heatsink either. Today I thourougly cleaned the GPU. I have tried another clean install of the drivers with the DDU, this time using slightly older divers then the one I used originally in the first clean install. Still the occurring issue. I tried to run several games on ultra low graphics and it there is not any difference.

Recently upon reboot after an unexpected error windows has rebooted to show the following error details:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA801091C460
BCP2: FFFFF880043566A8
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

I am uncertain if this will assist.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Reinstalling windows is the last step. After which it's pretty much a problem with the GPU. In case if it's the GPU that's failing you can get it fixed.

Solution