[SOLVED] Issue with mouse movement? Occurring in both desktop and BIOS??

olly29

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
Hey guys,
For the last few months I have been experiencing an issue with peripherals, namely mouse movement which I experience not only on the desktop but also in the BIOS menu. To put it simple it feels like my mouse is just sliding all over the place.

I bought a 2nd PC which works fine at the shop, but when I use it at home I experience the same issue. I have tested numerous peripherals and drivers etc and have ruled them out. My only last thoughts are possibly windows 10(?) or something wrong with the power outlets/electricity in my home which is what I am more leaning towards. I have also experienced other random issues such as monitor screen blacking out for a few seconds and random freezing. I'm wondering if it's possible the outlet voltage isn't stable or some other electrical issue?

Here is a small sample video of what I am experiencing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOl5cXtISJc&feature=youtu.be

Basically, the issue you see in the video in BIOS is what also occurs on the desktop on a smaller scale. I am moving the mouse strictly UP and DOWN and it's just going all over the place (really hard to control it).

Hopefully I can get some feedback on this or it's happened to someone else reading? Not sure if I need to get a electrician in to have a look at it?
Thanks everyone :)

Solution
First off it looks like your mouse is plugged into the monitor. If so shut down and plug the mouse straight into the PC to rule out a monitor USB issue. Secondly try a second mouse to rule it out as defective. If you have anything else plugged into the USB other than the keyboard and mouse remove it to rule that out.
First off it looks like your mouse is plugged into the monitor. If so shut down and plug the mouse straight into the PC to rule out a monitor USB issue. Secondly try a second mouse to rule it out as defective. If you have anything else plugged into the USB other than the keyboard and mouse remove it to rule that out.

Solution

olly29

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015

I already have the mouse plugged into the computer, I've pretty much ruled out all hardware as I've even gotten a new computer at the end of last year.

OK if you think its the power from the wall plug in try a uninterruptible power supply. This should store enough power while your PC isn't in use to give you stable power from the plug in.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

UPS: CyberPower - CP750LCD UPS ($79.95 @ Adorama)
Total: $79.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-20 15:04 EST-0500

olly29

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015

Thanks heaps for your reply, I was actually looking into possibly getting one before I wrote this but I wasn't exactly sure how they worked. Do they stabilise voltages through the power outlet or something like that?