Question Issue with overclocking RAM ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
Hello all. Recently I've just really got fed up with my PC's frame-rate drops, so I decided it was finally time to overclock my RAM. I had been meaning to do it for a while, but just never got around to trying it until last week. However, when I put it to 3200 MHZ, I didn't realize I also needed to up the voltage since it couldn't reach said frequency stable without doing so. So I resorted to using the DOCP Profile, as I genuinely don't like messing with voltages unless I absolutely have to. However that also resulted in games crashing due to the RAM "being unstable", even though the DOCP Profile automatically overclocks it so you don't have to. Also note that my PC wouldn't allow me to go to 3200 MHZ on either tries for some odd reason, so I had to resort to trying it at 3000 MHZ.

I've obviously made sure my RAM and everything was compatible with my motherboard at the supposed to be speeds, and it is, so I'm not really sure why I'm not able to set it to 3200 MHZ, let alone really set it to any overclock I physically need (stable).

My specs are as follows:

Asus B450-F Gaming ROG Strix Motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
16GB 3200 MHZ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (but it's been set at 2133 MHZ since I built my PC up until now obviously)
GTX 1660 Ti

I really would like to get this figured out, as I'm just simply tired of the frame-rate drops. Thanks!

Memory:
Speed:

I'll get you a photo of my system in a minute.
Ram modules are in wrong slots. They are running in single channel mode.
Show a photo of your system with side panel removed.
They should be installed in slots A2, B2 (2nd and 4th counting from cpu).

And that is 3200mhz ram running at 2666mhz. It is not 2133mhz ram.

BTW - SPD means serial presence detect (not speed).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_presence_detect

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
Ah, I gotcha. I know, I was trying to find a stable frequency. So this could all be because I had both sticks of RAM in the wrong slot? I'll be posting a picture of my PC in a minute.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Chances are the cpu is holding the ram back. I had a 1600x which barely ran 3200mhz B-die and it wasn't really stable. 3xxx & 5xxx cpu's didn't have any issues running that ram and there was a noteable bump in performance.

Same prime plus b350 board went from 1600x-3700x-5700x. Ram from 2x2400 2x3200 and now 4x3600. Stable as a rock and significantly faster than where it started.

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
Sorry I never got around to showing a picture of the side of my PC, I completely forgot about it! Anywho if anyone can still help me identify which RAM slots are the right ones to put my RAM in that'd be a big help, since they're in the wrong slots and not running in dual channel mode. A picture will be posted down below. Thanks!

Hello all. Recently I've just really got fed up with my PC's frame-rate drops, so I decided it was finally time to overclock my RAM. I had been meaning to do it for a while, but just never got around to trying it until last week. However, when I put it to 3200 MHZ, I didn't realize I also needed to up the voltage since it couldn't reach said frequency stable without doing so. So I resorted to using the DOCP Profile, as I genuinely don't like messing with voltages unless I absolutely have to. However that also resulted in games crashing due to the RAM "being unstable", even though the DOCP Profile automatically overclocks it so you don't have to. Also note that my PC wouldn't allow me to go to 3200 MHZ on either tries for some odd reason, so I had to resort to trying it at 3000 MHZ.

I've obviously made sure my RAM and everything was compatible with my motherboard at the supposed to be speeds, and it is, so I'm not really sure why I'm not able to set it to 3200 MHZ, let alone really set it to any overclock I physically need (stable).

My specs are as follows:

Asus B450-F Gaming ROG Strix Motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
16GB 3200 MHZ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (but it's been set at 2133 MHZ since I built my PC up until now obviously)
GTX 1660 Ti

I really would like to get this figured out, as I'm just simply tired of the frame-rate drops. Thanks!

ok the max offical speed the cpu supports out the box is 2666

you have the ram in wrong slots

2 and 4

also because your on ryzen 1600 do not go to high up into the bios or the motherboard may not recognise your chip anymore

consider a better cpu cooler
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJF42G83?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Alright thanks! 😎
Besides moving the memory to the proper slots that processors memory controller probably can't run the memory at that speed.

Enable DOCP in BIOS then manually set the speed to 2933 that's about all those chips can do.

From that point you can call it good or if you wish try to tighten cas (lower) and timings

Last edited:

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks again for all the help! On a side note I'm just glad I'm putting new parts into this PC soon honestly, can't wait to get a 4080 Super and be able to play games on max settings and the best resolution! 🤔😎