Question Issue with PC restarting randomly

Raka12345

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
I'm having an issue whereby my PC will randomly shut down and restart, no BSOD, nothing in windows event logs. This happens mostly while gaming (mostly MMO, average / high settings, nothing demanding). Some times it will be fine for 5+ hours, some times it'll crash after 15 minutes.

I've run my own stress testing, and it's not crashed and I've taken it to a local PC repair shop and they couldn't find any issue with it after a week of having it on the bench.

I've checked temps and it's not overheating (GPU hotspot is hot at 88 degrees but its not spiking and that's likely due to the airflow not being the best, CPU is about 45 degrees under load).

Reliability monitor will regularly show the message "Windows was not properly shut down" even when shutting down normally.

I suspect the PSU is faulty but I wanted to check here to see if there are any other suggestions before I go and replace it.

Specs:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 - 5800X
GPU: MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3x 10g
RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB PRO DDR4 RAM 32GB 3600MHz
MOBO: Asus Prime x570-P
PSU: Corsair HX1000

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
that mobo has a history of random failures, from a single usb port, the ethernet port, and the m.2 pcie port.

how old is it? have you attempted to boot with a different vid card, test each stick of memory (memtest), try a different m2 ssd, or other drive? checked stability of drives on crystaldiskinfo?

have you completed bios updates? or driver updates? when was the last fresh install?

you could try checking the disks and scan for corruptions in windows as well

search ~ cmd ~ right click and open as administrator

type ~ sfc /scannow
... let it run
type ~ dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth... let it run

cleandisk and defrag (even on a ssd helps on occasion)

Raka12345

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
So the build is just under 3 years old (hence not really wanting to completely rebuild if I can help it). The issue has always been there but its becoming more and more frequent hence it's got to a point of either fix it or start building something new.

I've run several memtests and no issues detected.
All drivers are up to date.
No issues detected with either drive.
sfc/ scannow showed no errors
/restorehealth completed successfully.

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
if the problem has always been there, i am firmly believing it is the motherboard. again to reiterate; that specific motherboard has had a plethora of issues that have come to light across many forums. from what i have read, if it is hardware related, software cannot correct it. i would RMA it if it is still under warranty. or try a different motherboard, and keeping your current other components.

I have had no issues with msi carbon x570 pro, or my asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi ive heard horror stories with gigabytes and asrock x570 boards.

Raka12345

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
if the problem has always been there, i am firmly believing it is the motherboard. again to reiterate; that specific motherboard has had a plethora of issues that have come to light across many forums. from what i have read, if it is hardware related, software cannot correct it. i would RMA it if it is still under warranty. or try a different motherboard, and keeping your current other components.

I have had no issues with msi carbon x570 pro, or my asus tuf gaming x570 plus wifi ive heard horror stories with gigabytes and asrock x570 boards.
Thanks, I've just double checked and there was a newer BIOS version so I've updated but if the problem persists I'll start by replacing the mobo and see how I get on.

Thanks for your help.