Question Issue with RAM configuration on Asus motherboard ?

sdhineshkumar

Honorable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi,
I have configured and am using this system since 2018, with below configurations:

MB : ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 V4 2.10 GHz : 8-Core,16-Threads,20MB-Cache, 85W, Server CPU,LGA 2011-3, RAM: DDR4 1600/1866/2133 - 1.5TB
RAM : Crucial 32GB DDR4-2666 RDIMM ECC RAM (CT32G4RFD4266) x 4 = Total of 128GB
HDD : 1TB x 4 = Total of 4TB Crucial SSD Drives

Now I am planning to upgrade the RAM by adding an additional 128GB using this:

SAMSUNG 32GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V-R REGISTERED ECC 2RX4 CL19 288 PIN 1.20V MEMORY MODULE ( PC4-2666V-R ) (M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q)

I just want to know how to add it.

As per MB manual we have to use 4x RAM sticks in DIMM sot - A1,B1,C1 and D1 but when I try to install it is not working it throwing error B7. But when I installed in A1,A2,B1 and B2 RAM(memory)works good without issue, as I said I want to add128GB RAM into C1,C2,D1 and D2 DIMM slots whether to know it will work or not or my DIMM having problem because as per manual it didn't worked,(ie) A1,B1,C1 and D1.

Can someone pls confirm whether you have such issues. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Page Number : 2-16, pls check

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
A1,B1,C1 and D1 but when I try to install it is not working it throwing error B7.
Well, there's a reason for that. You are using 4x individual RAM sticks, rather than a set of RAM.
The Micron you have, are all individual DIMMs,
unofficial specs: https://www.serversupply.com/MEMORY/PC4-21300/32GB/MICRON/CT32G4RFD4266_294724.htm

Why it doesn't work? Further reading (especially 2nd, "mixed memory" chapter),
article: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

And now, you want to make it into a RAM zoo, by adding completely different, additional 4x individual sticks.
Samsung too, are all individual DIMMs,
unofficial specs: https://www.serversupply.com/MEMORY/PC4-21300/32GB/SAMSUNG/M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q_371640.htm

Do you know why RAM is sold in a set? Including server RAM?
E.g this one: https://www.memory4less.com/crucial-128gb-ddr4-pc17000-ct4k32g4lfq4213
:unsure:

sdhineshkumar

Honorable
Aug 16, 2019
Well, there's a reason for that. You are using 4x individual RAM sticks, rather than a set of RAM.
The Micron you have, are all individual DIMMs,
unofficial specs: https://www.serversupply.com/MEMORY/PC4-21300/32GB/MICRON/CT32G4RFD4266_294724.htm

Why it doesn't work? Further reading (especially 2nd, "mixed memory" chapter),
article: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

And now, you want to make it into a RAM zoo, by adding completely different, additional 4x individual sticks.
Samsung too, are all individual DIMMs,
unofficial specs: https://www.serversupply.com/MEMORY/PC4-21300/32GB/SAMSUNG/M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q_371640.htm

Do you know why RAM is sold in a set? Including server RAM?
E.g this one: https://www.memory4less.com/crucial-128gb-ddr4-pc17000-ct4k32g4lfq4213
:unsure:
We have 8 DIMMs per CPU; would it work if I use Crucial 32GB DDR4-2666 RDIMM ECC RAM --> A1,A2,B1, and B2, followed by SAMSUNG 32GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V-R REGISTERED ECC --> C1,C2,D1, and D2.
First, 4DIMMs will be configured, one set 32x4 =128GB (Crucial), and the second set 4DIMMs will be configured using a different type of memory (Samsung). Will this work?
If this board only supports memory in sets, the RAM vendor or even ASUS must recommend using memory in sets exclusively.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Will this work?
Did you not read the Mixed Memory article i linked?

If this board only supports memory in sets, the RAM vendor or even ASUS must recommend using memory in sets exclusively.
NONE of the MoBos state that only RAM sets can be used with MoBo. Since all MoBos work with only 1x DIMM. And one DIMM can not be "a set".

There is a reason why i asked if you know why RAM sticks are sold in a set.

Explanation time:
When RAM DIMMs are made; same make, model, speed, CL and timings RAMs are tested with each other by RAM manufacturer and those sticks that get along well, are put into sets.
First set to be made is the set of 8x RAM sticks and sold as 8x RAM sticks in a set (e.g 8x 8GB, total of 64GB). If the set of 8 doesn't work, it's divided into half which makes up two sets of 4.
If the 4x RAM sticks do work together, the are sold as 4x RAM sticks in a set (e.g 4x 8GB, total of 32GB). But if the set of 4 doesn't work, it's again divided into half, making two sets of 2.
Two RAM sticks that work well with each other are sold as 2x RAM sticks in a set (e.g 2x 8GB, total of 16GB).
Those RAM sticks that doesn't want to work together at all are sold as single RAM sticks.

So, if you need 4x sticks of RAM, buy the set of 4. Sure you can buy all 4x sticks individually but chances of them all working together would be slim. If you'd get only 2x individual sticks, chances would be 50:50.

With DDR, DDR2 and DDR3, using individual sticks is quite lenient and RAM, for the most part, usually works fine. You can run into issues of RAM not achieving the max rated speed, if it is above JEDEC standard.

But with old RAM, all sorts of shenanigans have been made, e.g running 3x 4GB for total of 12GB or one 8GB alongside 4GB (again, for total of 12GB).

DDR4, in the other hand, isn't so forgiving. Getting different capacity sticks running in one machine is next to impossible. And getting individual sticks working together (despite them being otherwise seemingly identical), is also another headache. So, for DDR4, do get the set, if you need more than one DIMM.

DDR5, is looking to be more forgiving again. Big part of it is the fact, that for DDR5, you do not need 2x DIMMs to achieve dual-channel RAM. Instead, DDR5 is made such, where individual DIMM is already running in dual-channel configuration. This eliminates most of the issues when pairing individual sticks. Still, getting individual sticks operate above JEDEC standard (which for DDR5 is above 4800 MT/s), can still be 50:50 chance.

First, 4DIMMs will be configured, one set 32x4 =128GB (Crucial), and the second set 4DIMMs will be configured using a different type of memory (Samsung).
Chances that 8x individual DIMMs from two different manufacturers working together, are essentially none.

If you want to play RAM lottery and think you have divine luck, sure, go ahead and buy another 4x individual DIMMs and slap them into the machine. In a minuscule chance, that they all work together, well, great.
But if not, then what?

This is not the correct manual for your MoBo.

Correct one is here,
link: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/z10pe-d16 ws/helpdesk_manual/

And if you read the proper manual, it states on page 2-12:
Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimum compatibility, it is recommended that you obtain memory modules from the same vendor.
Since you already have Micron RAM, any addition should be Micron as well, to increase chances of RAM working together.

sdhineshkumar

Honorable
Aug 16, 2019
Did you not read the Mixed Memory article i linked?

NONE of the MoBos state that only RAM sets can be used with MoBo. Since all MoBos work with only 1x DIMM. And one DIMM can not be "a set".

There is a reason why i asked if you know why RAM sticks are sold in a set.

Explanation time:
When RAM DIMMs are made; same make, model, speed, CL and timings RAMs are tested with each other by RAM manufacturer and those sticks that get along well, are put into sets.
First set to be made is the set of 8x RAM sticks and sold as 8x RAM sticks in a set (e.g 8x 8GB, total of 64GB). If the set of 8 doesn't work, it's divided into half which makes up two sets of 4.
If the 4x RAM sticks do work together, the are sold as 4x RAM sticks in a set (e.g 4x 8GB, total of 32GB). But if the set of 4 doesn't work, it's again divided into half, making two sets of 2.
Two RAM sticks that work well with each other are sold as 2x RAM sticks in a set (e.g 2x 8GB, total of 16GB).
Those RAM sticks that doesn't want to work together at all are sold as single RAM sticks.

So, if you need 4x sticks of RAM, buy the set of 4. Sure you can buy all 4x sticks individually but chances of them all working together would be slim. If you'd get only 2x individual sticks, chances would be 50:50.

With DDR, DDR2 and DDR3, using individual sticks is quite lenient and RAM, for the most part, usually works fine. You can run into issues of RAM not achieving the max rated speed, if it is above JEDEC standard.

But with old RAM, all sorts of shenanigans have been made, e.g running 3x 4GB for total of 12GB or one 8GB alongside 4GB (again, for total of 12GB).

DDR4, in the other hand, isn't so forgiving. Getting different capacity sticks running in one machine is next to impossible. And getting individual sticks working together (despite them being otherwise seemingly identical), is also another headache. So, for DDR4, do get the set, if you need more than one DIMM.

DDR5, is looking to be more forgiving again. Big part of it is the fact, that for DDR5, you do not need 2x DIMMs to achieve dual-channel RAM. Instead, DDR5 is made such, where individual DIMM is already running in dual-channel configuration. This eliminates most of the issues when pairing individual sticks. Still, getting individual sticks operate above JEDEC standard (which for DDR5 is above 4800 MT/s), can still be 50:50 chance.

Chances that 8x individual DIMMs from two different manufacturers working together, are essentially none.

If you want to play RAM lottery and think you have divine luck, sure, go ahead and buy another 4x individual DIMMs and slap them into the machine. In a minuscule chance, that they all work together, well, great.
But if not, then what?

This is not the correct manual for your MoBo.

Correct one is here,
link: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/z10pe-d16 ws/helpdesk_manual/

And if you read the proper manual, it states on page 2-12:

Since you already have Micron RAM, any addition should be Micron as well, to increase chances of RAM working together.
Really many thanks for more information,
The ECC RAM that I am utilizing all have the identical settings.
COMPONENT DENSITY: 32GB
PRODUCT BUS TYPE: PC4-21300
COMPONENT SPEED: DDR4-2666V-R
MODULE SIGNAL TYPE: REGISTERED
ERROR CORRECTION CODE ( ECC ): YES
COMPONENT RANK: 2RX4
CAS LATENCY: CL19
PIN COUNT: 288-PIN
I have another question: can we use the processor in the CPU2 socket instead of the CPU1 socket? I need to know whether my CPU1- DIMM C1,C2,D1, and D2 are having any troubles. I tried removing the processor and installing it in the CPU2 socket, but it did not power on the MB; please let me know if there is anything further I need to do on this motherboard, such as jumper settings.
Thanks,
Dinu

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I tried removing the processor and installing it in the CPU2 socket, but it did not power on the MB; please let me know if there is anything further I need to do on this motherboard, such as jumper settings.
MoBo manual doesn't state any way to run single CPU in 2nd socket. And as far as i know, dual-socket MoBos do require CPU to be in 1st socket, before 2nd CPU socket can be used. So, you can't use just one CPU in 2nd socket. You need to have 1st socket populated as well.

The ECC RAM that I am utilizing all have the identical settings.
While both the Micron (what you have) and Samsung (what you plan to buy), have identical specs, there is 0 guarantee that Micron and Samsung RAM will work together.
So, i advise against buying Samsung RAM. But it's your money and if you like to play RAM lottery, feel free.

sdhineshkumar

Honorable
Aug 16, 2019
MoBo manual doesn't state any way to run single CPU in 2nd socket. And as far as i know, dual-socket MoBos do require CPU to be in 1st socket, before 2nd CPU socket can be used. So, you can't use just one CPU in 2nd socket. You need to have 1st socket populated as well.

While both the Micron (what you have) and Samsung (what you plan to buy), have identical specs, there is 0 guarantee that Micron and Samsung RAM will work together.
So, i advise against buying Samsung RAM. But it's your money and if you like to play RAM lottery, feel free.
Thank you once again! I learned a lot more stuff. Let me try to get same MICRON 4set RAMs
Last question, do you know which CPU cooler fan will fit in this motherboard? I am currently using: Intel Thermal CPU Cooler (BXSTS200C)
It appears that it is not available in the marketplace. Now I intend to use the processor (i.e., Intel Xeon E5-2620 V4 2.10 GHz): 8-Core,16-Threads in CPU2,
Thanks,