issue with Seagate ST3500320AS

stackoverflow

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
Hi,

I just got this new HDD , 7200.11 with 32 mb buffer

I downloaded the Seagate SeaTools diagnostic tool and ran some tests.

The HDD is not yet formatted.

The LONG GENERIC test in this tool is failing.

1. How much reliable is this seagate SeaTools?

2. Any other tool which I can use to see if everything is OK with this disk? (else I need to return and get a new one)

3. how to check if there are bad sectors?

4. Any other suggestions

Please let me know.

Thanks.

chad720

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Hi, to check bad sectors you could use HDD regeneration software. If you use the seagate tools for DOS you will found that it repairs the disc without notification, so you will not even see how many sectors, or where they were (at the begining, middle or end of the surface) as I think bad sectors could be due to surface oxidation, wich will affect in long / low term tho the rest of the surface (or also as a bad logic desing, as it try to write faster than it can, maybe the cause of such good benchmarks).

I had the same problem, with two st3500320AS (bought separately and with 6 month of diference) and with another ST3750330AS.
Tech support told me to send the drive back to them and they will send me drives with another firmware (different from SD15 that I had), so I ask them to send me the firmware, and I´m wating for notice.
It´s a shame seagate was the best hdd maker since I´ve ever know, first maxtor was the best, then seagate took is place, and now because of a poor quality test, or deficient engineering (that prefers performance than stability), it let his place to WD apparently the best now, but not for speed or performance, but for good speeds (not as much as seagate) and more compatible device (I m not the only one who experimented troubles with 7200.11 SATA drives).
Well the disc was running on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe, also tryed with Epox P4PDAI and same problems
the first 500gb 7200.11 was running fine 3 months, then it gains a bad sector, it starts running low (3MBps as much), seagate tools for windows fails on every test, and that the "GREAT" software provided by seagate (free to download, liying customers that it will repair the disc afther confirmation!! false) seagate tools for DOS repairs without confirmation, so I get an awesome 3 months old disc, with highs speed, lot of exceptional reviews, low temperature sourface, not so low noice levels as everybody sais, and a great bad sector repaired by a software that maybe has simply remove this sector from the file table of the hdd, and it doesn´t told me wich sector it was neither!! REALLY BAD SOFTWARE, AND TO MUCH LIES SAYING THAT THE SOFTWARE IS A DIAGNOSTIC TOOL, WICH WAITS FOR USER CONFIRMATION. I think seagate was planning to save lot´s of money forcing users to "repair" automaticaly the disc at home, also I heard the rma returns a refurbished disc. So maybe, and I repeat MAYBE, a productive director´s team desing a pararel production of bad quality hard disc drives, and repair disc of rma returned wich as I read are many more that a high end manufacturer should expect. Always taking advantage of the name of the brand, like maxtor or seagate that in a near past were the best of the best hdd manufacturer, both with 5 years real waranty, returning new units, both fighting for the high end market. I wonder if maxtor was bought by seagate after or before it becames a low end hdd brand.
Now it seems like Western Digital is the best choise to do, but I wonder if it will be as good as it should, or just not as worst as the others...
Thanks for reading, and maybe if you have something to say, I will be glad reading you people, both systems I try has ICH5 (one was ICH5R) so probably it was the result of a non compatible southbridge chipset, or SATA 1 incompatibility, but everywhere I look, I doesn´t found a patern on seagate feailures, and nothing about incompatibilty (Those drives has also a jumper that limit the transfer rate as SATA 1 so they certainly support SATA 1)

chad720

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
sory I forgot to mention tha this firs 500gb drive, one month later of the bad sector issue, started running low again, failing seagate tools for windows so I manage to get it recognised for the dealers warranty, with a replace (money in middle) for the 750gb model, wich I hard stressed with some hdd utilitys like bart´s test, and failed afther 10 days.
The third one, this 500Gb again, bought on another sealer, and with one year warranty (here in Argentina we didn´t dream of 5 years as seagate is not in the cantry - WD yes, giving 3 years). This last disc, I thirst plug it on the other sistem P4PDAI and it fails seagate tool for windows, not passing an hour of use without issues... Saturday I´m going to change it for a WD5000AAKS hoping better luck (or in my opinion... better QUALITY)

Nee

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
We have 4 Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.11 drives (ST3500320AS) with firmware SD15 and SNs 9Q*. All of these drives are supposedly unaffected by any of the problems currently plaguing Seagate. However, these drives have caused us a lot of problems over the past few months and I am positive that there are cache issues with the drives. We started using 2 of them in a Raid1 Server 2003 environment. They worked great to start but after a short amount of time we began to get a lot of "Delayed write failure" errors, BSOD and a lot of situations where the server would just completely freeze up. At the time I hadn't anything about their current problems, but since delayed write errors are cache related i did run the disks through the SeaTools tests but all passed. So then I went through every other idea that I could possibly have for why these problems were happening, from making sure all drivers etc were up to date, to removing/replacing hardware and even swapped them into another computer with identical motherboards. It was fairly intermittent and I would think I had it figured out and it would come back again. Nothing fixed it so eventually I was forced back into the old Seagate 250 drives I was using, which were and are again working perfectly for me. No big deal I thought, I will just use them in another computer running xp. Nope. Same exact problems, except since it was just an extra disk on the system, the system would think it failed and take it out itself. I even had one in an external enclosure and eventually that started giving me all the same problems too. After reading all of the other problems people are experiencing, I'm convinced there are cache issues on this drive as well.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Not sure if this helps the poster above me, but on the customer reviews for the 7200.11 on the newegg website, a person stated he bought 4x 7200.11 drives for a raid array, and they failed pretty quickly. He stated he contacted seagate tech support and was told that the drive models ending in "AS" are supposedly not designed for RAID operation, and that he should look into "ES" drives.

Something may be up with the design of 7200.11 that causes problems in raid arrays.

Nee

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Well, SeaGate told me that aswell, but the problem is that they are doing the exact same thing when they are placed in a non-raid environment. As meantioned above, I put one into an XP machine as just an extra drive for space. While transfering data over to it i got the delayed write failure errors and then the system would tell me that the hard drive was unplugged and i couldn't get on it again. This was also a problem in one I put into an external drive enclosure but since I wasn't using that one as often, it took me a while to figure out that it was doing the exact same thing. The only reason I knew it was doing the exact same thing though was that I went through it A LOT with the other drives. Had I not gone through the problems with the other drives, I again probably would've thought it was a problem with something else, and not the drive itself. And being that I don't use that one that often, it would've taken me much much more time to figure out.
SeaGate has told me about their ES drives, but when I did a quick look I read some iffy reviews on them aswell. After the headaches I've had with these AS drives, and all the problems I've been reading with SeaGate's products recently,

Nee

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Our company had a lot of issues as a result of these faulty drives and based on our experiences and whhat we have read in reviews/comments sections, we believe that there is more then a firmware issue going on here. For anyone else that has experienced serious issues as a result of these drives, you may be interested to know that there is a class action lawsuit being looked at here http://www.kbklawfirm.com/seagate/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-11-hard-drive.php. This law firm seems to be fairly legitimate and while we are not sure we will join it, others who've experienced problems may want to. This is also the type of thing that might put pressure on SeaGate to properly deal with these issues and stop lying to customers.

LloydChristmas777

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I don't know if this is this particular unit I happen to have got or a common thing among this model, but I just wanted to say, I got this HD a couple of years ago and it failed right away. Fresh XP acted with its own mind: taking too long too boot, occasional fail to start, occasional blue screen, slowness using XP, and all sorts of other strange things.