Issue with shared folder

zorak16

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
At my work I have a setup with two users to share a folder over the network; this folder is exclusive to those two and no one else in the building can access it.. I have a permission in place where only one user has permissions. I have them both connect to the special folder in server via the user credentials. One is on Windows 8.1 and the other is on Vista.

As you might have guessed, the reason I am here is for the Vista user. She frequently has issues with connectivity issues to the special folder as well as read & write errors.

She works from the server, meaning that she opens and saves excel/word files from the server (this folder almost exclusively contains excel and word files as that's what they use)

I told her to copy the file to her desktop, do what she needs, then copy the file to the server (overwriting the previous version)

She is really unhappy with this arrangement as she needs to go through this process with dozens upon dozens of files. Unfortunately with a Vista computer, I'm inclined to tell her there is only so much I can do and she needs to upgrade.

Any suggestion?? Is there a way to allow her to read&write directly to the server.

Solution
You say there are two users that access this folder then you say you have it setup "I have a permission in place where only one user has permissions. " So obviously the other user does NOT have permissions. How are you setting these permissions? Are they set on the share as well as on the actual file? Is this a domain setup or just a workgroup with all local accounts? What exactly are the errors she gets when she tries to save the files? What are the exact file and share rights you have granted them and to what accounts? Is the share on a Server system or just on some random regular Windows computer? Unless it's a Server OS, there is a limit with how many connections you can have to a computer, it could also be that there are...
You say there are two users that access this folder then you say you have it setup "I have a permission in place where only one user has permissions. " So obviously the other user does NOT have permissions. How are you setting these permissions? Are they set on the share as well as on the actual file? Is this a domain setup or just a workgroup with all local accounts? What exactly are the errors she gets when she tries to save the files? What are the exact file and share rights you have granted them and to what accounts? Is the share on a Server system or just on some random regular Windows computer? Unless it's a Server OS, there is a limit with how many connections you can have to a computer, it could also be that there are too many connections open and when she tries to save she gets a network error.

You need to add in all the details about their accounts and how the network and shares are setup.

This does not sound at all like it has anything to do with Visa but with the user account and how the rights for the files are configured. Easy way to test, have the person with the issue log on to her own account on the 8.1 system and see if she can work on that. Just make sure she uses her own account and not the other person's.

Solution