Question Issue with stutters in games 9900k + 3080

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 13, 2021
So, I thought the polite thing to do would be to provide an update. Sorry it's been a while.

I've now tried 3 different GPU's, Ive tried a Noctua Dh15 cooler, I've tried a fourth set of RAM, a different monitor. I've also removed the NZXT 'Smart device' and the rgb strips it controlled.

I've reinstalled windows each time, I've tried Windows 11. Still have the stutter.

On top of this, one of my SSD's failed; so I'm now down 1TB of storage.

My PC might be cursed.

Oct 31, 2021
it's the ASUS PRIME z390-A. The GPU clock seems rock solid, at least it is when the stutters occur. The CPU is locked to 4.8GHz, I've also tried without any sort of overclock on the PC and with XMP off.. same issue. **Edit - just had a thought; the Ryujin 360 AIO cooler I have connects to a usb header on the motherboard.. think it's worth trying a different cooler? Also, I replaced all of the SATA data cables today.. still no better.
You r not alone i have the same problem like yours.When i got this system 2 yeas ago i am runed the system with 1080ti than i got 3080 first weeks everythnk is runing smoothafter that ina sudden moment it starts stuttering lagging in games.İ tried everythnk but no better the onlt thnk i have not tried is changing motherboard.İf u have the solution pls share with us.
i have z390aorus master asus 3080 strix 16 gb 4000 mhz ram

Jun 13, 2021
You r not alone i have the same problem like yours.When i got this system 2 yeas ago i am runed the system with 1080ti than i got 3080 first weeks everythnk is runing smoothafter that ina sudden moment it starts stuttering lagging in games.İ tried everythnk but no better the onlt thnk i have not tried is changing motherboard.İf u have the solution pls share with us.
i have z390aorus master asus 3080 strix 16 gb 4000 mhz ram
I'm still experiencing the issue, and it's really hard to pin down. At this point I've swapped out everything except the case. Bizarrely; games you would think would cause issues, like Cyberpunk, run fine for the most part - other games like Guild Wars 2 have regular hard stutters - it's not constantly stuttering, you can go several minutes without one.. and it doesn't stutter under any particular usage scenario.. it's very strange.

Nov 7, 2021
Are you by any chance using Asus's rgb control software? Aura or the aurmory?
If yes, try turning any lights off. Or better, kill the Lightservice in TaskManager and see, if the stutters persist. For better measure, kill everything asus related there.

Reactions: Monkeh
Jun 13, 2021
Are you by any chance using Asus's rgb control software? Aura or the aurmory?
If yes, try turning any lights off. Or better, kill the Lightservice in TaskManager and see, if the stutters persist. For better measure, kill everything asus related there.
I have done this already, good shout though.

Armoury crate was causing issues with some games - in particular WoW.

System feels better without any of the Asus software, but stutters remain in most games I play. I've been swapping components around again recently, I get the same frame spikes and hard stutter/hitching with my old 2080 (which it definitely didn't used to do) and my even older 1080.

Some games are definitely worse than others, Guild Wars 2 is terrible - it runs fine for half an hour or so, then I start to get hard stutters - particularly when new assets are loaded, or I open my inventory / map.

Cyberpunk runs great on the 3080, which seems like a paradox unto itself - except when it autosaved - it would stutter then, so I disabled autosaves.

Most recently Back 4 Blood has had issues with stutters. infrequent, perhaps a couple of times per level.. but they are jarring when they happen - Afterburner shows frametime spikes well over 100ms.

To summarise: Ive tried two different CPU's, both on two different motherboards, 4 sets of RAM, three different GPU's, 3 different mice, three keyboards, two gamepads, had the headset plugged in / disconnected, two 850w Corsair PSU's, I've replaced all the power cables, I've replaced all the sata cables, I've tried two different 1440p monitors (displayport) and several DP cables. I've reinstalled windows several times, wiping the drives and starting from scratch.

All temperatures are well within spec, no clocks are throttling down at any point.

Perhaps one of the most infuriating aspects of this is that the system flies through 3dmarks Timespy benchmark without breaking a sweat: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i9-9900K Processor,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING (3dmark.com)

Ive built my own PC's for twenty years and I've never experienced anything like this - everything I know about PC's tells me that at least one of the things I've done should have fixed the problem.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Skimmed over the thread, apologies if these have been tried.

Have you returned to Win10 btw?

Not sure if Win11 has gpu scheduling feature, it should have since Win10 introduced it recently. If you haven't tried it, in task bar search type graphics and click settings. There, can enable feature. Suppose to improve latency.

Have you tried overclocking, or rather underclock (respecting thermals), forcing all core to 4.5~ 4.6 or 4.7. Nothing drastic, just to see if avoiding any instance of core worker/ frequency/ voltage fluctuation that might cause games to stutter at certain points, maybe during drive i/o use (and other areas, possibly like peripheral m/k use) where cpu may be drooping the eyes/ nod off to sleep for a tiny bit depending what's going on. Im probably over thinking it but maybe it's something to try, depriving cpu any chance of slacking off at all.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
Apr 24, 2021
It could be related to Hyper-Threading. Try disabling it in BIOS?

One other option, the issue might be psychosomatic.

Games do stutter from time to time. Most of the time its imperceptible, very occasionally you will notice it. Maybe, after all this time of trying to fix this issue (and of course after spending over $3000 trying to "fix" the "issue"), you have become hyper-aware of any performance drop whatsoever, and are looking for it so hard that you notice just run-of-the-mill frame drops that every system encounters?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Games do stutter from time to time. Most of the time its imperceptible, very occasionally you will notice it. Maybe, after all this time of trying to fix this issue (and of course after spending over $3000 trying to "fix" the "issue"), you have become hyper-aware of any performance drop whatsoever, and are looking for it so hard that you notice just run-of-the-mill frame drops that every system encounters?
Have to agree with this. Not sure how severe or frequent stutters happen for the op but i too expect games not to be perfect. Especially open world. There's a point after gaming for so many years you just know.

Man Far cry 5, picking up those perk magazines chugged like hell. I knew it was the game and not the computer.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
Apr 24, 2021
Have to agree with this. Not sure how severe or frequent stutters happen for the op but i too expect games not to be perfect. Especially open world. There's a point after gaming for so many years you just know.

Man Far cry 5, picking up those perk magazines chugged like hell. I knew it was the game and not the computer.
They do not make them like they used to. With all the 3rd-party libraries used in games these days, everything from smoke effects to shadows to reflections is likely just a 3rd-party plug-in for whichever off-the-shelf rendering engine that the developer happens to be using. Half the time they can't optimise the engine or fix frame drops, because they have no idea what's even causing them, and even if they did it's likely some 3rd party code that they aren't allowed to modify.

Nov 7, 2021
As others mentioned, most of the games have periodic stutters, because of their engine. Especially open world games, that stream in /constantly save assets (Far Cry games) and no HW in the world could avoid this, as the time to access and move those is always percievable. And this is quantified by higher FPS you are getting (Not so disturbing on console 30fps, but very noticable on 100+).
Online games can have issues with the netcode as well as memory leaking issues.
I wouldnt fret about it, if the stutters are occasional here and there.

When I was trying to figure out and decrease the amount of stuttering I was experiencing, because it was throwing off the FreeSync and causing flickers and very disturbing hitching, in addition to not smooth and fluid motion on my monitor - which I later found out was mostly because of the stupid Asus Aura software hogging DPC - I also noticed that the nVidia Boost on my 1080ti (gigabyte OC) was working a bit too aggressive and hitting the power limits or thermal limits caused percievable spikes in GPU clocks and therefore stutters.
I managed to solve it by adjusting the custom curve via MSI afterburner, so the card does not boost over 1670Mhz (I lost maybe 2-3 fps in games by that) and eliminated stutters caused by this in addition to lower thermals and fan noise.
Try tinker around that.

Also try setting the power managment in Windows to High Performance - to keep the CPU clocks always on Turbo before gaming. Balanced can sometimes think, the CPU can park and downclock during a game and then it takes time (microseconds, but can be percieved as a stutter) to Turbo again.
Turn on the low latency GPU support in Windows 10 and also play around with the low latency ON/Ultra in NVCP. Set frame limits via RTSS or in NVCP or in game if possible (but be careful, some frame limiters like RTSS can cause stuttering in some games).
Turn off any HW monitoring software - even simple HWMonitor can cause stuttering due to its constant CPU polls. Long time ago, Ive found out, that using the Gigabytes GPU software to change clocks on the fly, was running some monitoring in the background, that was causing stutters on some Windows builds.

Also, unless you have Alder Lake intel, I would stick to Win10 for gaming and switch only in 1-2 years :D

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021
Skimmed over the thread, apologies if these have been tried.

Have you returned to Win10 btw?

Not sure if Win11 has gpu scheduling feature, it should have since Win10 introduced it recently. If you haven't tried it, in task bar search type graphics and click settings. There, can enable feature. Suppose to improve latency.

Have you tried overclocking, or rather underclock (respecting thermals), forcing all core to 4.5~ 4.6 or 4.7. Nothing drastic, just to see if avoiding any instance of core worker/ frequency/ voltage fluctuation that might cause games to stutter at certain points, maybe during drive i/o use (and other areas, possibly like peripheral m/k use) where cpu may be drooping the eyes/ nod off to sleep for a tiny bit depending what's going on. Im probably over thinking it but maybe it's something to try, depriving cpu any chance of slacking off at all.
I've switched between the two operating systems whilst trying to resolve this - I'm on 11 at the moment but I'm probably going to go back to 10 whilst MS iron out some of the inconsistancies in the new OS (I really don't like the new right click desktop menu lol)

I've tried lower overclocks, I'm running 4.8GHz at the moment - I've also tried the system at base clocks and with turbo boost disabled; same issue unfortunately. I had thought to myself that maybe it was a vdroop issue - I'm running LLC 5 at the moment - I've tried LLC 3 / 4 / 6 too, doesn't seem to alter the symptoms I'm seeing.

I've tried setting the RAM to base speeds and also at lower overclocks (3400 / 3200)

I'm currently using process lasso and bitsums high performance profile, though I'm not convinced this has made any difference to how the PC normally runs.

Jun 13, 2021
It could be related to Hyper-Threading. Try disabling it in BIOS?

One other option, the issue might be psychosomatic.

I'm testing with hyperthreading disabled today.

I think I'm prone to seeing all stutter as part of the problem, trying to make the distinction between issue and expected behaviour is hard sometimes, particularly as -like you've said- I've spent a lot trying to fix this.

Some of the stutter is definitely not normal though, we have two other gaming PC's in the house, neither exhibit the stutters that are causing me concern.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS