Question Issue with using Elgato HD60 Pro

Nov 13, 2019
Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct section

When cloning the monitor from my Gaming PC, and playing games in Windowed Mode it causes the games refresh rate to be locked at 60hz(or FPS). When ALT TAB-ing and having another program in front of the game I can see the FPS of the game unlock and go up to where it usually is when not cloning, or when I am cloning but playing the game in Fullscreen.

Now the problem I am having with playing a game in Fullscreen while cloning onto the Elgato is; the computer locks up when ALT TAB-ing out and back into the game. These lock ups when ALT TAB-ing doesn't happen at all when I'm not cloning my Gaming PC, and I haven't been able to figure out what's the cause. So basically, when in Windowed Mode the game gets locked at 60FPS and becomes undesirable to play; then when in Fullscreen the game runs at the max refresh rate (in my case 144hz), but ALT TAB-ing out of the game makes TAB-ing out to use the computer extremely unbearable with how it locks up when transitioning.

Additionally, cloning my Gaming PC also causes overall performance issues on my Gaming PC for some reason, like when opening a program or even just going into the Windows settings, the computer will lock up for a second then load the program or open the settings...something that doesn't happen when I'm not cloning the PC. I've tried searching for a fix or solution, and have tried adjusting pretty much every setting, but haven't found a fix. So I'm just super confused at this point, and I'm even more confused that this is happening on my Gaming PC and not the Stream PC that I am sending the captured image to.. I almost wanted to blame the new monitor I just bought, but I am getting the same issue no matter which monitor I make the main display. So that's not it...lol.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019
So in the days since I made this post, I have found an article from 5 years ago that states the same issue I am having:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...ndows-10-with-clone-display-for-game-capture/

Now in that article someone posted that if the display on the Stream PC has a max of 60hz for instance, and the display on the Gaming PC is set to 144hz; cloning the display from the Gaming PC makes the display run at the same 60hz as the display from the Streaming PC when running games in Windowed Mode... and also causes those performance issues within Windows that I mentioned above.

Someone said that having both 144hz monitors on the Streaming and Gaming PC, will fix the issue. Apparently this is a Windows 10 issue, and is something that didn't happen on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1.

Can anyone out there confirm this as a fix? I find it hard tho think that Windows or NVIDIA for that matter haven't come up with a fix to this, seeing as it's apparently been an issue since Windows 10 came out.. I will be testing this "fix" here soon, and will post whether or not it actually works.

Last edited: