Question Issue with Windows Media overlay and gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2019
Okay, so I'm having an issue where anytime I'm playing a game and I go to change my system sounds and the Windows Media overlay pops up within the game; it causes my game to feel like it's running at 30fps.. This issue happens in every game I play, and the issue goes away immediately after the overlay disappears.

I've made sure that all of my drivers are up to date but the issue persists. I've also tried running the game in windowed instead of fullscreen...also I'm on a new computer that I built last October, and I don't remember this happening on my old computer; which is why this concerns me.

-Specs- (not sure if needed)
i9-9900K
2080Ti
32GB RAM

Nov 13, 2019
Looks like you're not the only one to get frustrated with the Volume OSD in Windows 10. Someone has written a little utility to hide it: http://wordpress.venturi.de/?smd_process_download=1&download_id=323

I just installed it on my own system to test and it appears to work perfectly.
Ahhh I see, so I'm not the only one with this issue.. Is that the only "fix"? I don't really want to hide the OSD, I just don't want it to lag out my game lol.. but if that's the only fix, then I guess I don't have much of a choice.

You did get version 445.87 directly from Nvidia, correct? Not the website from eVGA or XFX or Gigabyte or whoever produced that particular card?

To try and fix the performance issue, (assuming you are running 445.87 directly from Nvidia), I would also make sure that you are running Windows 10 version 1909 with the latest build (18363.815 at the time of posting - open the Run dialog using the Windows Key + R hotkey combo > type"winver" to check). If not, check Windows Update and grab any remaining missing patches and try again. Also confirm that the game(s) in question are totally updated themselves.

Can you give an example of a few games where this happens?

Edit: And to answer your original question, this is more a workaround than a actual fix. The real fix would probably need to come from one of Nvidia, Microsoft, or the game developer(s), or all three if it's a more widespread problem.

Reactions: IWORDI
Nov 13, 2019
You did get version 445.87 directly from Nvidia, correct? Not the website from eVGA or XFX or Gigabyte or whoever produced that particular card?

To try and fix the performance issue, (assuming you are running 445.87 directly from Nvidia), I would also make sure that you are running Windows 10 version 1909 with the latest build (18363.815 at the time of posting - open the Run dialog using the Windows Key + R hotkey combo > type"winver" to check). If not, check Windows Update and grab any remaining missing patches and try again. Also confirm that the game(s) in question are totally updated themselves.

Can you give an example of a few games where this happens?

Edit: And to answer your original question, this is more a workaround than a actual fix. The real fix would probably need to come from one of Nvidia, Microsoft, or the game developer(s), or all three if it's a more widespread problem.
Yes I am currently running the 445.87 drivers that I downloaded from the GeForce Experience app, as well as my version of windows is: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.815). All games are indeed updated.

I'm having this issue on every single game that I play, from the new COD, to Division 2, Conan Exiles, GTA V, Ghost Recon Wild Lands, etc. Basically any game I run I have this issue, even in Minecraft lol..

Very strange... I would grab that app to hide the panel (you can set it up to create a tray icon to easily toggle it to hide the Volume OSD or not, in case there are times when you do want to see it).
In the meantime, I will confirm on my machine whether I see any framerate drops in anything I have installed to compare.

Reactions: IWORDI
Nov 13, 2019
Very strange... I would grab that app to hide the panel (you can set it up to create a tray icon to easily toggle it to hide the Volume OSD or not, in case there are times when you do want to see it).
In the meantime, I will confirm on my machine whether I see any framerate drops in anything I have installed to compare.
Okay so since the last message I sent, I've seemed to have been able to "fix" the issue without removing the OSD, and I've been able to reproduce my original issues...

So here's what I noticed, I opened resource monitor in full screen on my 2nd monitor where I usually have twitch playing on Chrome while gaming. I muted my system sound to get the popup to see what resources were being used, didn't notice anything in the resource monitor but I noticed my "lag/fps drop" was gone.. I did a few more tests and determined that having Chrome open on my other monitor while playing a game and adjusting system sounds is what's causing the issue. Pausing the stream doesn't seem to fix the issue, the only thing that fixes it, is having something else open in full screen over Chrome, or simply minimizing Chrome, which fixes my fps issues...

I'm confused.. is there a fix for this? Other than the obvious.

Additional Info: My main monitor is a 144hz monitor, which it is indeed set to 144hz within NVIDIA Control Panel, and Windows Settings...but my 2nd monitor is a 60hz P.O.S lol... could this be the issue? I feel like the issue lies with Chrome tho, since I didn't have the issue once I minimized Chrome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.