Issues connecting PC and LCD TV via HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixeight327

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Hello,
I am having trouble getting video when connecting my PC to my LG LCD TV via HDMI. When I connect the two via HDMI, the television displays "no signal" however when I go into the Intel HD Graphics utility, it recognizes my TV and shows information about it.

I find this strange because, previously I have been able to connect the two without any issues.
Specs
ASUS K52 Notebook
Core i3 350M
Intel HD Graphics
320 GB HDD
4 GB RAM

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Reinstall the graphics driver, also check for updates.it probably remembers the previous info about your tv but its not providing signal.
[Make sure you are on the right chanel or select your input.]
I also have an LG tv and 2 weeks ago connected my pc via RGB, it went brilliant, but struggled a bit to play .mkv
Check if your Notebook has any key to enable the video out.

sixeight327

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
I just checked and my Intel video driver is up to date. I selected the correct input for my TV but still no signal. I have tried to find a previous version of the driver to revert back to but I can't seem to find any, not even on the driver disk that my notebook came with.

skaz

Distinguished
I had my cable come slightly loose and it would loose signal. Mostly cause of the extremely stupid design of some of the heavier hdmi connectors out there (still kind of wish there was an option for the holder pins like on the DVI connectors)

Anyways. Check your connection between the two devices and make sure its pretty solid. Make sure the input is on the right input =). And I remember having to go into my intel HD graphics control panel to tell it output the signal to the TV as well. So make sure you do that as well. Hope one of those helps you.

sixeight327

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
I appreciate all of the ideas you all have given me, unfortunately none of them were able to work. I suppose my PC and my TV wont be the good friends that they once used to be.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Does your notebook have 2 graphics adapters? If so, it could be set to power saver, so it uses the integrated chip,some notebooks has a button to change to stamina mode and will activate the gpu.

shahulhamed

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
I had this same exact issue. Windows would recognize the monitor, but the monitor would display "No Signal" until I plugged the computer into the "PC" HDMI port. See if your TV has an HDMI port labeled "PC" or something similar.

I had to look with a flashlight to see it. I believe it was something like "HDMI 2 (PC)" on the back of my Samsung.

Jonathan11

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

Jonathan11

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
I have the same problem. My ThinkPad HDMI works will all other TV's but about a month ago stopped working with my LG Smart TV. We JUST had the LG technician come over as the TV was purchased only 6 months ago. He got the DVD player to work and said the problem must be with your PC. Confusing since my PC HDMI still works with several other TV's. I'll never buy LG again.

SanSun

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015

Jonathan11

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

Jonathan11

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
I had an ITS guy check into this and he says that the RDT tv is not reading the monitor its a LG LG49UB8200-UH with Intel HD display adapter 4000, This is an issue for many people checked forum postings on intel's support site, many people are reporting the issue with different TV brands but none have found a solution other than to go through the VGA instead of the HDMI.

tmx_tom

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Hi guys,

I bumped into this problem after i bought a new TV a few weeks ago and realized that many of you are experiencing the same problem. PC not recognizing the TV. Or recognizing it but there is no signal or the resolution is changing, dropping the signal, blinking or black screen. I red almost every thread about this on various sites and realized that no one ever had a real solution so i digged into this. In my case even Nvidia and Samsung helpdesk had no real answers, they always suggesting re-install and firware updates, or replacing the HDMI cable but unfortunately it's useless. Sometimes it's the shitty cable but i tested everything, every HDMI input / output / cable / device / vga card / tv and individually everything worked fine, but when i tried to connect especially TV with PC then it failed to work.
So guys, i'm happy to inform you that I found the root of this annoying problem and the ultimate solution.
And it doesn't matter if you have Radeon or Nvidia VGA card and LG, Samsung, Sony or Phillips TV because it's not a software or compatibility problem. So regardless of the brands if you are experiencing this problem just read on and you will get a relief :)

Here's the thing:
This is an error typically between PC and TV, so it's not really happening between TV and say Blue-ray player, (you will undersand in a minute). Therefore testing with other devices and cables leads nowhere.
It's happening when a coax cable is connected to the TV. So it's not even a software or faulty hardware problem.
The faulty or almost spooky behaviour of the connection is caused by a ground loop because commonly TVs have non-grounded AC plug therefore the tv is not grounded. But PCs are always using grounded AC plug. Obviously, TVs are usually used for watching TV therefore they are receiving data thru cable TV coax cable. But this cable usually carrying extra voltage that is harmless for the TV because it cannot really go anywhere. But when you connect the PC with the TV that charge will be grounded thru the circuits of the TV -> HDMI cable -> VGA card/circuits -> PC's grounded socket. This symptom is called a "ground loop", in this case between a grounded and non-grounded device. So the starange behaviour of the VGA card is caused by that extra voltage traveling thru all the circuits, generating false digital information. So this is why it behaves so strangely / randomly or not even working at all. This extra voltage is usually not that strong to harm any of the circuits so it will not cause hardware errors, but it's enough to generate digital errors / problems.
I red on many forums that people solved this problem by unplugging the TV for a few minutes and when they plug it back in it usually works but it's temporary. It's because that extra charge will discharge by time when it's unplugged. But it's temporary and honestly, it's a pain in the ass always unplugging - plugging in the tv before use so it's not really a solution.

So here it is:
There is a little device called loop ground isolator for coax cables (or Cable TV Ground Loop Isolator). You have to insert this device in the coax line coming into the TV and that eliminates the unwanted extra voltage. It's a really cheap little device but it eliminates the root of the problems. I did this and now everything works perfectly.

I'm using Nvidia with Samsung TV so i already suggested to their helpdesks to put this information in the FAQ or something because many people experiencing the same problem. But as i wrote in the beginning it's not brand releated so if you have this problem just buy an isolator for a few dollars and your problem will disappear.

I hope this info will finally help everyone ;)

Cheers!
Tamas

Reactions: DontRichPeopleHard

themerch424

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016

Did you have the cable line going directly into the tv or did it go through an hd cable box?

tmx_tom

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Directly into the TV, because i use a CI+ card in the TV (does the same thing as the cable box).

Deenus

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
SOLVED!!

Hi All

I trawled the net for a solution for days on this but the only way I sorted this issue, was to go out and by a $10 HDMI to VGA convert box. I now continue to use the VGA on the back of the TV. Here is a link to the 1080P-HDMI-Male-to-VGA-Female-Video-Adapter-Cable-Converter-With-3-5mm-Audio-Out. This has a built in Chipset that converts on the fly and works just fine for me!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1080P-HDMI-Male-to-VGA-Female-Video-Adapter-Cable-Converter-With-3-5mm-Audio-Out-/331080810685?hash=item4d15f440bd:g:by4AAOSwxp9W44jc

zoolandermmx

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

Hi Tamas,
Are you suggesting the problem only caused when a coax cable (to an antenna) is connected to TV? My TV is dedicated to PC and is not connected to a coax cable, does your solution (loop ground isolator for coax cables) still apply to my case?

Status
Not open for further replies.