[SOLVED] issues with game save files

Mar 28, 2019
I've recently been having a very annoying issue with games. It started with dark souls, then skyrim, then binding of isaac. At some random point after playing for a few hours (save files worked correctly for the first few hours of playtime), my save files would all of a sudden stay the exact same. By this I mean whatever saves I had at the time this issue would arise, I"m stuck with them. I could overwrite the save or delete it, reset the game, and the file would return. I could make a completely new save file, reset the game, and it would be gone. At first I thought this was an issue with steam cloud, so I tried both disabling the cloud and playing in offline mode, and there was no change. That leads me to think it's a local issue, and the only thing I could think of was setting the save file folders to not be read-only, but that didn't change anything either. So, I'm hoping for some suggestions here.
I'm on windows 10.

Solution
I can think of two ways to delete save files in Skyrim.
  1. Inside the game, from the menu and then Load. There you have a possibility to use the X key to delete a save file.
  2. From outside the game, using Windows Explorer, command prompt commands, or third party tools.
Which method do you use, when the deleted files come back?
Does the disk where your files are saved have enough space left?
Also, are we talking Skyrim SE or the original version?
Think I found the solution. It was windows defender for some reason, even though I was excluding the documents folder. Just disabled it and saves seem to be working.
Lets take Skyrim as an example. It has three ways to save files.
  1. Autosave, happens when you enter another realm/map, like a cave or a house, and may also happen according your settings for saves.
  2. Quicksave, when you in game press F5.
  3. Last there is manual Save from the menu.

These saves have different file names. Quicksave and Autosave also keep a backup of the previous save of that type. There is one Quicksave file, which is the most recent. There are the three most recent Autosave files, and then there are all your manually saved files.
Files are saved locally, and upon closing the game they are uploaded to your Steam account in the Cloud, unless you have turned off that option.

Skyrim also has three ways to load a file.
  1. When you start the game you can Continue, which means loading the most recent save file, regardless type.
  2. Upon starting the game, or from the menu when in game, you can Load a game, from any of the three save types.
  3. Last you have Quickload, which loads the Quicksave file.

Are you saying that after a certain time of play, suddenly you can't make new save files in any of the three ways, and that save files that you have deleted suddenly reappear?
Have you checked the time stamps for the save files?

Mar 28, 2019
Lets take Skyrim as an example. It has three ways to save files.
  1. Autosave, happens when you enter another realm/map, like a cave or a house, and may also happen according your settings for saves.
  2. Quicksave, when you in game press F5.
  3. Last there is manual Save from the menu.
These saves have different file names. Quicksave and Autosave also keep a backup of the previous save of that type. There is one Quicksave file, which is the most recent. There are the three most recent Autosave files, and then there are all your manually saved files.
Files are saved locally, and upon closing the game they are uploaded to your Steam account in the Cloud, unless you have turned off that option.

Skyrim also has three ways to load a file.
  1. When you start the game you can Continue, which means loading the most recent save file, regardless type.
  2. Upon starting the game, or from the menu when in game, you can Load a game, from any of the three save types.
  3. Last you have Quickload, which loads the Quicksave file.

Are you saying that after a certain time of play, suddenly you can't make new save files in any of the three ways, and that save files that you have deleted suddenly reappear?
Have you checked the time stamps for the save files?
I didn't happen to check the time stamps, but the file names and data are exactly the same. And yes, I can't make new saves in any way whatsoever, and deleted saves come back every time.

1. Inside the game, from the menu and then Load. There you have a possibility to use the X key to delete a save file.
  2. From outside the game, using Windows Explorer, command prompt commands, or third party tools.

Mar 28, 2019
Think I found the solution. It was windows defender for some reason, even though I was excluding the documents folder. Just disabled it and saves seem to be working.

Solution