Issues with getting connected to wifi belkin router

cc10311958

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hello, I am using belkin router to connect my sons computer. We have been using this for a little while and all was well. Then I started having problems with windows, keyboard, mouse, and so on. I thought maybe he had malware or something to that efect. So, I reinstalled windows to wipe the hard drive and now I cant get my belkin router to pick up his connection. I am at my wits end with this. Always has connected in the past. Is there something I am just not doing right or is it another issue?

G

To be pedantic what you may actually mean is his wireless now can't pick up the router's signal. The difference is worth mentioning because it will help you analyse what the issue is.

First issue is whether the driver for the wireless adapter has been loaded. You should check Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, to see if the device is recognised or whether it is yellow flagged as faulty.

If either is so you need to examine any driver CD which came with the computer or wireless adapter. Alternatively visit the computer manufacturer's site -- or the adapter manufacturer's site.

cc10311958

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
To be pedantic what you may actually mean is his wireless now can't pick up the router's signal. The difference is worth mentioning because it will help you analyse what the issue is.

First issue is whether the driver for the wireless adapter has been loaded. You should check Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, to see if the device is recognised or whether it is yellow flagged as faulty.

If either is so you need to examine any driver CD which came with the computer or wireless adapter. Alternatively visit the computer manufacturer's site -- or the adapter manufacturer's site.

Thank you so much for helping me. I just received your reply today. I was in device manager yesterday and did not see anaything flaged but I will check in again. I was also wondering if the problem with the mouse, keyboard which are wireless as well could be the drivers. Im starting to think it could be the drivers. Im not that great with the workings of a computer. Just using them :) I will do all you suggested and thanks again.

G

The mouse and keyboard may be wireless but they won't be affected by the connection to the router. Indeed they may be bluetooth or infrared. However, if you have not reloaded the driver which will have been supplied with the mouse and keyboard they will not work either. Personally I would not use wireless for a keyboard (and I'm dubious about using USB even for a mouse). The fact is these devices worked entirely reliably when they had dedicated sockets and did not need drivers -- which is not the case now. If you cannot get the wireless mouse and keyboard working reliably I would put them aside and buy cheap USB equivalents.

If the wireless adapter appears to be present and can detect the router's signal, it may be that the wireless security password has not been applied to the wireless connection in Windows. The best bet is to connect the computer to the router with an ethernet cable and refer to the router manual for how to access the router's user setup screens in order to review or renew the password (and wireless security type).

It's also possible that you haven't actually created a Network Connection -- try running the Windows Networking Wizard.