Issues with high cpu usage on boot caused by nvidia services

Jul 27, 2018
I have been having some annoying problems with my computer. When the issue first occurred, the cpu usage stayed above 50% immediately on boot, causing an extreme amount of lag, accompanied with a poor screen resolution. I found that when I booted in msconfig diagnostic mode, those issues were completely resolved. I was able to isolate the problem to the Nvidia services, leading me to suspect the nvidia drivers were the culprit. I also noticed that when I booted the computer normally (with the high cpu usage and lag), the device manager was unable to find the nvidia card.

I used display driver uninstaller to completely remove the nvidia driver and install the most recent via nvidia’s website. This partly fixed the issue, the display manager now lists the video card as being found, and the screen resolution has corrected itself, but the high cpu usage problem with lag still exists.

Before I had this issue, there was an additional problem with the computer where my monitor would frequently enter power save mode immediately after turning my computer on. When the computer was actually able to boot, it would freeze (sound makes vibrating noise and the monitor enters power save mode) in high demand programs.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Specs:
WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 SCSI 1 terabyte
Nyvidia GeForce GTX 760 Ti OEM
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS40N SCSI Cd Rom Device
8 Core Intel TM i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHz
PSU: Alienware 330 Watt
Alienware X51 R2

Jul 27, 2018

The computer ran fine for several years with the current power supply so I dont think the amount is an issue. Is there a way I can check that the computer has enough power without borrowing a different PSU?