MSI Z77 MPOWER
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
MSI N660TI PE 2GD5/OC x 2
Plextor PX-128M5P 128GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200
Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard

So one morning I go to jump on my PC and for some reason my internet isn't working when I was connected and I had internet on my laptop, so I go to reboot but after I reboot I get a no bootable device error and my keyboard isn't working or anything. So I reboot again and try to get into the BIOS but still no keyboard. I start tearing it down to try to isolate the problem and after unplugging all my HDD SATA plugs it starts to work again so I assumed a bad SATA port. I power the computer back up and start using it like normal when I noticed one of my hard drives is not detected so I shutdown and make sure everything is plugged it good and tight and then I get another error that read "map: cannot find required map name" with a shell cmd prompt and no keyboard responsiveness. So after playing with different combinations of SATA cables into different hard drives I get it working again or so I though. I go to reboot just to make sure its still working fine and again I get a no bootable device found error and the keyboard is not working. I start going through the steps again of pulling SATA cables to try to get it back on but nothing is working. So I pull the RAM and re-insert 1 stick into a different slot and it fires up again. So far I have rebooted a few times and it seems to still be working fine. Has anyone ran into similar issues with the MSI mpower Z77 motherboard or any motherboard for that matter. Should I RMA the board? Does this sound like a RAM issue? I guess my next step if it still runs good after this is to run memtest to see if I have any RAM issues. Any tips or advice on this issue would be helpful. Also how is MSI on RMA's in terms of speed and success. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue.

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
That's some wall of text!

Do you have a keyboard that can plug into a PS/2 port? Often issues will cause USB ports to not work. If you can get a PS/2 keyboard to work, perhaps you can further troubleshoot from there. If all problems persist, you motherboard may have shorted or something. Do you have any other computers you can plug your drives into to see if they work?

Mortifix

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Yeah sorry for the long post lol. Because this was an unusual issue for me I wanted to include as much information as possible. Yes all the drives are working fine. I am actually on my computer right now and everything is working fine. Its just when I go to reset thats when the issue arises and I have to start tearing stuff down again to get it to turn back on. Also something else I did notice, when my PC was turned off my razer mouse was still lit up like the PC was on but the keyboard was not lit up.

Mortifix

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Well see thats whats odd. The motherboard has an LED display to show error codes and everything is loading up normal with no error codes. The motherboard is showing no signs of there being a problem. Its sounding like I might just have to go to MSI to see if they have run across this problem and if there is a solution.