[SOLVED] Issues with new PC build ?

Aug 15, 2021
The system specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII hero (WiFi) Latest BiOS (3801)
RTX3070ti
2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz RAM
Asus Thor 1200w PSU
Windows 10 if it will ever install

The issue started straight away, the PC started up fine got into BiOS but I could not see my windows install usb or my m.2 drive.
Restarted and there they were so booted from windows install, got as far as I needed to with the install usb then screen flickers and freezes then reboots.
Now I get random restarts before I can even get to windows, or I get to windows and I BSOD either seconds in or max I have been in is 10 minutes.

I have tried reseating CPU, GPU and ram.
I have cleared CMOS 3 times.
I have hardware issues when I run windows memory diagnostic tool but someone also mentioned it might be unstable BiOS?

Can anyone help? I’ve been at this all weekend

Solution
It could be an unstable Bios version, did you install the newest bios version yourself? On your board there is the safe _boot button, that is worth trying. Also there is the Slow Mode Switch bottom right, it may have been switched to the "Slow Mode" and is causing instability so check that. This is all in your Mobo guide in Chapter 1.

You have a Bios Flashback button in your Mobo, so if you have a the newest version of the Bios on a USB you can follow the instructions and it may iron out any Bios problem. Updating Bios always carries a small risk but with modern boards it is not nearly as scary as it used to be. If you do not have a version on a USB you can go to Asus on any laptop/PC and download and then follow the manuel instructions.
What cooler are you using?
Are the Mobo/CPU/GPU power supply cables in the right slots on your modular PSU?
Do you have 2 or 3 of the CPU power cable connections attached?
Is you GPU with 2 single power cables or a Piggyback version?
Try with just 1 stick of RAM installed......

Your system is very similar to mine so I hope we can get you sorted....

Aug 15, 2021
What cooler are you using?
Are the Mobo/CPU/GPU power supply cables in the right slots on your modular PSU?
Do you have 2 or 3 of the CPU power cable connections attached?
Is you GPU with 2 single power cables or a Piggyback version?
Try with just 1 stick of RAM installed......

Your system is very similar to mine so I hope we can get you sorted....
I am using the ROG Ryujin 360 II AIO for cooling in bios CPU temp says 36 degrees.
Yes I have triple checked and actually clicked them in and out a couple times to make sure they are in correctly.
I only have the 8 pin connected for the CPU as I understood it the extra 4 pin was optional for overclocking?
I have 3 separate 8 pin PCIe cables for the GPU it’s power hungry.
I have already tried with 1 stick of ram both of them separately it still crashes (sorry should of mentioned that)

It could be an unstable Bios version, did you install the newest bios version yourself? On your board there is the safe _boot button, that is worth trying. Also there is the Slow Mode Switch bottom right, it may have been switched to the "Slow Mode" and is causing instability so check that. This is all in your Mobo guide in Chapter 1.

You have a Bios Flashback button in your Mobo, so if you have a the newest version of the Bios on a USB you can follow the instructions and it may iron out any Bios problem. Updating Bios always carries a small risk but with modern boards it is not nearly as scary as it used to be. If you do not have a version on a USB you can go to Asus on any laptop/PC and download and then follow the manuel instructions.

Solution
Aug 15, 2021

Yes I installed the new BiOS version, downloaded it from the asus website unzipped the file and used the rename tool to rename the CAP file then uploaded that to a FAT32 formatted usb put power to the mobo with the usb in the BiOS usb slot then held the BiOS flashback button for 3 seconds it does it’s flashing thing then flashes faster for a few minutes then turns off.

The BiOS on the system confirms 3801 I really hoped it was just an unstable BiOS.

Slow mode is still in the off position, I haven’t tried safe boot yet, I will do that after the memory diagnostic tool finishes.
It is on test pass 12 of 15 and has detected hardware problems so hopefully will get a log once that’s completed

Reactions: Schlachtwolf

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Page 1-5 in mobo manual, slots A2 + B2, that's where RAM is supposed to go. I assume you enabled DOCP/XMP. If RAM is in the right slots, you could try giving it more voltage, 1.37-1.40 volts. Make sure it's DRAM voltage and nothing else.
A Zentimings screenshot might help also, if mobo sets weird timings or values for impedance etc.

Mobo manual: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...5378_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_HERO_WI-FI_UM_WEB.pdf
Note: With 1 DIMM, it is supposed to be in A2. The last slot.

Aug 15, 2021
Page 1-5 in mobo manual, slots A2 + B2, that's where RAM is supposed to go. I assume you enabled DOCP/XMP. If RAM is in the right slots, you could try giving it more voltage, 1.37-1.40 volts. Make sure it's DRAM voltage and nothing else.
A Zentimings screenshot might help also, if mobo sets weird timings or values for impedance etc.

Mobo manual: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...5378_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_HERO_WI-FI_UM_WEB.pdf
Note: With 1 DIMM, it is supposed to be in A2. The last slot.
Sorry I went to bed it was late am now at work so will try more when I get home.
So far I had the ram at 1.38v and i still get BSOD latest was when I was updating windows/drivers

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Sorry I went to bed it was late am now at work so will try more when I get home.
So far I had the ram at 1.38v and i still get BSOD latest was when I was updating windows/drivers

What happens when you run RAM at 2133 Mhz? Does it still crash/BSOD? Does Memory Diag complain? Because it shouldn't. If it does, probably faulty RAM. You could test 1 stick at a time, in slot 4. If either stick fails, I would return it. It's faulty.