Issues with router detecting cable

seanh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have a linksys WRT54GS which is 6+ years old that I have been using as a router, mainly wired, for many years. I moved to a different location on my property and hooked it back up, no problem. I then went to buy a new, longer cable to run out of the way. After hooking this cable up, my router isn't showing me any connection to the modem at all. Next, I went and tried the old cable that I had been using for a few days, but it also isn't showing any connection on the router( the new cable I ordered seems to be damaged somehow, but the old one is plugged directly into my PC at this time). My next thought might be that my old router could have seen an unfortunate end, so I went and bought a new linksys n300. There doesn't seem to be any differences in my results to plugging either cable into the new router either.

I am baffled as to how the cable could work perfectly plugged directly into my pc, but doesn't even show any lights when I plug it into either router. I really need to be using the router so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Solution
Have you checked the properties on that LAN adapter? Perhaps some sort of energy saving option is enabled? Ive also had some weird things happen when the option to detect legacy switch speeds (or something like that).

seanh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Yes. I'm using the same port on the modem that was working for me previously. I also was able to plug a laptop directly in to the port and it worked.

seanh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

My problem is just with the router. I can plug a single cable from the modem into any of my pcs and it works, but I need to be able to plug it in to the router so I can hook them all up. I have it plugged in to one pc right now to do this. It's strange.

seanh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I found out there were some issues with the modem today. Tech from my isp will be here on Tuesday. Putting new enda on the cable I spent the better part of an hour running before I toss it. I'll keep you updated, but I haven't messed with any routing settings. I'm really thinking the cord was damaged at this point. I found a tear in the outer cable and taped it, then the cord stopped working. I'm playing the waiting game.