Question Issues with SAS HDD to SATA

Apr 18, 2019
Hi! I'm a newbie to the PC building world and have run into a snag, which I'm sure many have done, when setting up the HDD. I've purchased a 2TB HDD with a SAS male port on the back and my motherboard only has SATA female ports. My motherboard is an ASRock B450m Pro4 and I've been looking everywhere to figure out how to do this. I understand what RAID is for and it looks like my motherboard supports it but my question is... what do I do now? I have also wondered if there is an external HDD hookup that I could purchase that would bypass the issue altogether. Any help would be appreciated!

Apr 18, 2019
You purchased the wrong hard drive. SAS drives can't be used with SATA controllers -- https://serverfault.com/questions/52092/can-sas-drives-be-used-with-sata-controllers
SATA drives work with SAS controllers but not the other way.

You just need to buy a SATA disk and hope you can sell what you purchased.
Thank you for the response! Yes, I have seen that multiple times on numerous posts about SAS to SATA but what I have also seen are few that are able to use both maybe using a controller inserted into the PCIe slot or something similar. Do you have any information on alternatives? I find it hard to believe there is no way around this besides buying another HDD.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for the response! Yes, I have seen that multiple times on numerous posts about SAS to SATA but what I have also seen are few that are able to use both maybe using a controller inserted into the PCIe slot or something similar. Do you have any information on alternatives? I find it hard to believe there is no way around this besides buying another HDD.
You could buy a SAS controller that you could put in a PCIe slot. The cost of that is much greater than buying the correct disk.

TRENDING THREADS