Issues with Win 7 Post Virus

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
So despite having avg antivirus installed, I ended up with a really nasty virus that totally locked out my pc. I do believe I have successfully removed the virus by regaining access though a system restore then running a virus scan, malware scan and Hitman Pro to clean things up. All tests are showing no infections now. The issue I'm having now is my system isnt behaving quite right. Applications often freeze or refuse to start is the main problem. After I performed the system restore, it said not all files were restored successfully, so I'm not sure if remnants of the virus are still there, or windows is corrupted from the restore. Anyone have any thoughts of what I can do besides a fresh format and reinstall? Thanks to all who can offer some advice.

Solution
Just download combofix, All that you do to run it is you disable avg or any other antivirus, and then you boot into safe mode and run combofix. Don't run an average register fixer tool. You need to run a tool like combo fix that is made to repair a badly, or previously badly infected computer. This will also fix your registry by fixing any malicious things that combo fix finds in the registry as well. After combofix is done run chkdsk. I reverse malware all the time as my hobby and side job for companies. Something like avg or ccleaner won't help you here.

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I'm not home now but I'll run cc cleaner when I get back. My system only seems to keep restore points from the previous day so I'm not sure i can go back to an earlier point. I don't have a backup on an external drive, shame on me i know. and I don't have an ssd. If I were to put a solid state drive in and re install widows on it, should my data and programs remain intact on my excusing drive?

When you get into system restore, there is a check box that allows you to select additional restore points.
A truly nasty and competent virus may well have removed them though.
Your data will be fine, but any programs that have registry entries will not run. That is likely most of them and they will need to be reinstalled.

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I tried a few different restore points but each time the restore fails. I tried to launch ccleaner but it just froze. I was able to get it going in safe mode and it found quite so few errors but it still didn't seem to improve the system. I'm also getting a message now saying windows security centre can't be turned on. Whatever this virus was it's done some serous damage.

lfkfkfkffs

Admirable
Just download combofix, All that you do to run it is you disable avg or any other antivirus, and then you boot into safe mode and run combofix. Don't run an average register fixer tool. You need to run a tool like combo fix that is made to repair a badly, or previously badly infected computer. This will also fix your registry by fixing any malicious things that combo fix finds in the registry as well. After combofix is done run chkdsk. I reverse malware all the time as my hobby and side job for companies. Something like avg or ccleaner won't help you here.

Solution