Question It’s Dead. What Could They Get?

bburko01

Honorable
Jan 24, 2017
Ok here’s my question… I have a 2 1/2 year old Samsung 970 Pro NVMe drive as my primary with OS on it.
It died. I replaced with a clone on a SSD.

my question is this… if I return it to Samsung to take advantage of the warranty, how much of my activity/ desktop could they possible take from it.

it completely crashed on me to the point where BIOS didn’t even acknowledge a drive in that port.

thanks for any info/ thoughts you guys can offer.

USAFRet

Titan
If they were to able to get it "working", they could theoretically retrieve whatever files were stored on it.

If they were to bother.
They will most likely just attempt to power it up. If it fails, into the shredder and you get a replacement.

They are not going to jump through CIA/NSA levels of investigation to discover your data.

Reactions: Krotow and bburko01
Compare the cost of a paying for a new drive without restitution from Samsung against your anxiety level.

You say "could they possibly". "Possibly" has a lot of latitude by definition.

Could they versus might they. Could they versus will they.

My personal scale says I won't make warranty claims for hard drives. I will absorb the expense rather than wonder.

Your scale may be calibrated differently.

I came to this conclusion after pondering the fact that I bothered to return a Kingston flash drive worth under 10 dollars for replacement under warranty. It had personal data on it.

Reactions: bburko01

bburko01

Honorable
Jan 24, 2017
Compare the cost of a paying for a new drive without restitution from Samsung against your anxiety level.

You say "could they possibly". "Possibly" has a lot of latitude by definition.

Could they versus might they. Could they versus will they.

My personal scale says I won't make warranty claims for hard drives. I will absorb the expense rather than wonder.

Your scale may be calibrated differently.

I came to this conclusion after pondering the fact that I bothered to return a Kingston flash drive worth under 10 dollars for replacement under warranty. It had personal data on it.
I just basically used it for my OS. Didn’t purposefully save any personal files to it other than what might have been generated by windows and stores in the App/ Temp files.

but at the time of purchase it was over $200

I think your level of paranoia is a bit high. But if this is something you're going to lose sleep over, just smash the SSD with a hammer and forget about the warranty replacement.

Or... create YouTube video about what is happening when SSD is directly connected to 220V mains. In lucky circumstances you will get back in advertising more than you paid about failed drive. And avoid electrocution of yourself in process. There are people eager to pay to see that too. But that will not help you in any way.