[SOLVED] It is possible to swap the M.2 SSD PCIe with OS installed between different motherboards ?

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Hello guys ! As you probably already know, I have a system wich I want to upgrade. The old system have an Asus Prime Z390-a motherboard and an M.2 SSD PCIe NVMe Intel 760p 512 Gb, with the OS already installed. Now, my new motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master. My question is about the possibility to swap the M.2 Intel 760p with the OS from the Asus motherboard to Gigabyte without issues ? From the other point of view, I have another brand new M.2 SSD PCIe NVMe Samsung 970 PRO 512 Gb already prepared for the new system, but I am interesed about the possibility to swap the M.2, because my Windows 10 Home ( with the licence already payed )wich is instaled to the old system, is an OEM DVD form factory, and I understand it is impossible to install such a form factory Windows to another system once it is installed to the other. My sadness is because my old system is in fact a brand new system wich I bought from a brand builder store, but I don’t use it anymore until now. My mistake for purchaseing a sytem wich not satisfy my goal about overclocking, but then I was less informed than now.

Solution
without issues

That is a 100% maybe.
It may work, it may fail completely.
Or, it might 'work', but you're chasing issues for weeks.

Given that one of them was a preinstalled OS, the possibility of working is much reduced.
And then the preinstalled OEM licensing issue comes in to play.

Just do a new install on your new system.

USAFRet

Titan
without issues

That is a 100% maybe.
It may work, it may fail completely.
Or, it might 'work', but you're chasing issues for weeks.

Given that one of them was a preinstalled OS, the possibility of working is much reduced.
And then the preinstalled OEM licensing issue comes in to play.

Just do a new install on your new system.

Solution

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Thank you very much. I will follow your advice.About the Windows OEM DVD form factory, it is true that is impossible to use it to the new system ? Of course, I have the DVD.

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
stick with 1 thread
Another question is about the possibility to swap the Intel I9 9900k CPU from the Asus motherboard and the to the brand new Gigabyte motherboard without issues ? The OS is an Windows 10 Home OEM DVD form factory wich was preinstaled by the manufacturer of the original PC. Thank you very much.

Last edited: