[SOLVED] it seems only Micron ram works

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
hi, I have two pc's the new one that I use for gaming is already maxed out to 32 gb DDR3, the older one is still stuck at 4 gb DDR3, because the old pc seems to accept only Micron brand ram that were the ones available for it when I got it 5 years ago.

have been spending effort trying out different kinds of DDR3 on the old pc. Want to upgrade it to 8GB, because I still use it as a backup storage, and playing games that don't work in Windows 10.

mother board is Samsung Desktop System (only two slots for ram), processor is Core e8400.

took pics..

this pair of Micron DDR3 ram are the ones currently installed and working on old pc.

zlfzd2.JPG

these Samsung DDR3 work fine when tested on the newer pc, but for some reason, are not accepted by the old board.

i7838o.JPG

a2byji.JPG

is this a brand issue, or something else?

anyone with experience on this, please help. thanks.

Solution
This isn't a driver issue or anything like that. I have older lga775 systems that can take ddr3 and the limitation is in the density and construction of the module as the newer designed modules that are currently available were never compatible with the older motherboards.

If you look at the old Micron memory, you can clearly see that it is a 2Rx8 construction. This is effectively 2x 1GB modules on a single module in terms of how it operates. Generally these worked well with lga775 systems.

If you look at the Samsung modules they are all 1Rx8 modules, so the 2GB is appearing as a single 2GB DDR3 module (which may not have been supported), and the 4GB module is also appearing as a single 4GB module, which was almost certainly never...

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
what made me give up is using the command wmic memphysical get maxcapacity

divide results by 1024 twice, and it shows my rig can only have 4 GB max.

however... I tested to see if 4GB of ram combined with a GT 1030 and Q9500. Surprised that Soul Calibur VI is actually very playable on 900p with graphics on high settings.

Dead or Alive V also works with no problems.

the old backup pc showed that it still has some "fight" left in it. lol
well, this pc only has HDD since it's only used for archiving photos of family and friends. But after seeing the results in my favorite fighting games.. bought a a 480GB SSD for it, and also upgraded the aging stock PSU to a Sesonic GC 550 to improve performance a little further. :)

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
It's possible, but to be honest the majority of systems I've seen that were old enough to require older low density DDR3, or anything older, especially OEM systems that long ago stopped offering BIOS updates, have a very poor chance of being compatible with any Nvidia graphics card newer than the Maxwell (900 series) cards and many of them won't work with anything newer than the 700 series cards. I'd make a real attempt to verify that there are users out there that have been able to get a GTX 1050 ti to work on your exact motherboard before counting on it.

I'm certainly not saying it won't, but don't count on it without verifying it first.

this thread is already solved, but replying now to provide a bit of information. Actually, it's an ASUS GTX 1650 GDDR6 installed now into this ancient motherboard, and it actually works. Did not give even a single error. :)

The 1650 flexing it's muscles, it allowed me to increase the resolution used in certain games. Yeah, I know.. the Q9500 cpu of this mobo cannot use the full potential of the 1650. For example, when playing Dead or Alive VI the CPU cores are all 100% utilized, while the gpu is just chilling at 50%. This is only a test.. just too physically exhausted now to move the 1650 to the gaming pc. Will move it when I find the time to do so.

Last edited: