[SOLVED] It's a good practice use two ram memories with different frecuency speed and capacity?

Apr 16, 2022
I have two different rams, both are from the same manufacturer (Kingston) and both are DDR4, one is 1067Mhz with a 4gb capacity and the other is 1333Mhz with an 8gb capacity. I know that if I want to use a combination like this, I need to use the lower frequency of the two. In the Windows Task Manager it shows the ram capacity, which is the sum of both capacities, but it also shows that the available number is less than the total capacity.

Image of the information displayed in Task Manager :
https://i.postimg.cc/4x27NmFX/Captura-de-pantalla-20-LI.jpg

I want to know if it's a good idea use both ram or just use the one with the higher frecuency.

Solution
It's probably not good practice but it usually works if you are not picky about speed or voltage.

Intel chipsets have had Flex Memory Technology since their very first PCIe chipsets in 2004. What this means is the first 8GB will run in dual-channel and then the remaining 4GB in single-channel, so there is no performance downside.

And 1067 DDR is 2133 effective so both sticks are correctly running at the slower rated speed.
D

Deleted member 362816

Dual channel will not function and the faster stick will run at the slower sticks speed. Other then that if capacity is all you need should work fine.

I have two different rams, both are from the same manufacturer (Kingston) and both are DDR4, one is 1067Mhz with a 4gb capacity and the other is 1333Mhz with an 8gb capacity. I know that if I want to use a combination like this, I need to use the lower frequency of the two. In the Windows Task Manager it shows the ram capacity, which is the sum of both capacities, but it also shows that the available number is less than the total capacity.

Image of the information displayed in Task Manager :
https://i.postimg.cc/4x27NmFX/Captura-de-pantalla-20-LI.jpg

I want to know if it's a good idea use both ram or just use the one with the higher frecuency.
Task manager shows 12GB of ram running at 2133.
It does not show single channel or dual channel.
Available+used equals 12GB.

It's probably not good practice but it usually works if you are not picky about speed or voltage.

Intel chipsets have had Flex Memory Technology since their very first PCIe chipsets in 2004. What this means is the first 8GB will run in dual-channel and then the remaining 4GB in single-channel, so there is no performance downside.

And 1067 DDR is 2133 effective so both sticks are correctly running at the slower rated speed.

Solution