Question It's impossible to overclock my i7 8700K...?

layer7nat

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
Summary

I attempted overclocking my i7 8700K after owning this particular rig for almost a year (specs listed below). My idle CPU temp as I type this says 37'C (Package Temp) in AIDA64, and 37'C in MSI Afterburner. I have XMP enabled (for my 3000mhz RAM).

I first tried overclocking at 4.9GHz with 1.30v. However, while running AIDA64's stress test, a few of my cores were reaching the 90'C mark. I stopped the stress test in fear of thermal damage. I then dropped my voltage to 1.29v to hopefully lower temps. However, upon lowering my voltage to 1.29v (with 4.9GHz), I was facing an issue while stress testing. I stress tested with IntelBurnTestV2, and it stopped after 9.52 seconds saying this:

2oq5s3nftdn21.png

I cancelled IBT, convinced this was some sort of bug, and began a stress test in Aida64 instead. After around 10 minutes, my computer blue screened. I thought that 1.29v was too low for 4.9GHz, and it caused the blue screen. So I put it back to 1.3v. I also increased my Corsair H115i Pro cooler's fan profiles to extreme settings, hopefully to solve the high temperatures I had with 1.3v the first time. My fan profiles:

Screenshot_4.png

I ran a test again in AIDA64. A test of 1.3v @ 4.9ghz resulted in a BSOD after 10 minutes. AIDA reported:
Screenshot_3.png

So now I don't know what to do. At 1.29v, I get BSODs. At 1.3v, I get BSODs and high temperature (the temps of the CPU were usually around the low 70's according to AIDA, however, the package temperature and CPU IA temperature were always floating around high 80's, low 90's.)

I guess I just feel stuck. And lost. Always. This affects me on a personal level. I never feel fulfillment, because I feel like I can never fulfill myself... Call me delusional, but I have a superstition that everything I attempt is negatively affected by an uncontrollable outside source. Something I can't control.

Anyways, I am just wondering what I should do from here. I can't even hit 4.9Ghz on this CPU which really sucks... It's a beastly CPU and I feel like it doesn't get its full potential with a stock clock. I really want to hit 4.9GHz too... I just want to feel like I won for once.

<-- Useful information below -->

Specs List

HardwareBrand
CPUi7 8700K
GPUGTX 1080 Founders Edition
MotherboardMSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
CaseS340 Elite
RAM16GB G.Skill 3000mhz (2x8)
PSU650W EVGA
CPU CoolerCorsair H115i Pro

Cooling System

2zxv0zhbtdn21.png
Blue Arrows represent cold, intake air; Red Arrows represent warm, exhaust air

layer7nat

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
I tried 1.31v @ 4.9GHz and I could stress test with AIDA64 for a lot longer. In fact, it didn't crash at all during my ~30 minute test. My temps were around mid 70's, but my package temp was in the 90's. It did throttle a little.

Screenshot_5.png

Is this safe to call a stable clock? I really don't want to use 1.32v... the temps will probably be worse :(

Last edited: