It's On: Windows Phone 7 Launch Set for Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolgamer512

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
i just hate at&t and verizon (i have verizon until june, then i get sprint) at this point. i will be happy to see some t-mobile phones, and especially the sprint phones when those come out next year.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
No. I am not more excited. Then again, I have yet to feel any excitement regarding the launch of WP7. It still seems like a beta product to me with missing features like copy/paste, tethering, etc. I bashed iPhone/Apple for missing these features FOUR years ago. It's hard to to get excited about a smart phone missing some of the most basic functionality.

I wasn't even considering to get the WP7, since it was only available on the AT&T network. My contract is up, so I might get one if it is available on T-Mobile. I have been with them for 6 years and happy with the service.

G

Yup smlong has is right, why get a phone with less functionality then the current android. Also since its new, there wont be as many apps. Maybe it will be good product next year.

G

I'm on AT&T, which I don't mind, with an iPhone, which I hate, so the addition of T-Mobile is not a huge deal. I am however quite excited for the launch. I am 95% going to get one, though Android is still somewhat tempting.

To be honest, I wish phones were more like PCs in that I can buy the hardware I want and then install the OS of my choosing. I do not like being stuck with one OS for 2 years. That is a lifetime in software development.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
i'll keep 6.5 if still no tethering....come on drop the $ony mentality companies we don't want downgrades.On a lighter note maybe you can run android off the memory card :).

TheQuestian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
As much as I'd like to say I'm not excited, I just can't. I love the Metro UI, and I finally feel that iOS has met its visual counterpart. I'm a very aesthetic person by nature (graphic designer, heh), so WP7 is the first real alternative to the iPhone, in my book. I've had the 3G for a little over a year, and I'm read for something new.

The T-Mobile thing is something of a non-factor for me, though, since we just got my wife an iPhone 4 and we'll therefore be tethered to AT&T for the foreseeable future. Copy and paste is the only thing I'm really disappointed about, and I expect it will be available soon enough.

rectus

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
What do you guys mean;he phone will only be GSM? Does that mean it wont work on UMTS/HSDPA or the function will be locked or what? I mean how can you go out and sell a phone thats supose to be top noch and not have 3G support. Correct me if Im wrong pls.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
No "copy paste"? That's not good. Guess I'll just stick to my shabby Sony Ericsson G900 then. Old school, but at least I can copy paste any text on my screen.

I'm curious though, will this WP7 will meet the same fate as Microsoft-unadmitted-product Kin? It's a wild jungle of prejudicial consumers out there.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
TBH, copy and paste is, 95% of the time, used to copy url's, phone numbers, email addresses and other similar 'set' pieces of text. If the phone can handle these in a better way then so much the better, I wouldn't miss copy and paste at all, if anything it's a rather clunky way to use information on such a tiny screen.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I am glad to see the general apathy towards these phones exuded by the typical above comments. Mainly directed towards the networks.

As I am in the UK and therefore do not have to worry about your crappy networks I actually have an optimistic outlook on the release of these phones.

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I am glad to see the general apathy towards these phones exuded by the typical above comments. Mainly directed towards the networks.

As I am in the UK and therefore do not have to worry about your crappy networks I actually have an optimistic outlook on the release of these phones.

Was wondering does UK have carrier 'locked' phones?
I guess yes, then does the general public always get the locked or unlocked version of the phone.
In my country, Malaysia, people tend to buy unlocked phones....
But since the birth of iphone and Android phones, people are now starting to look at the carrier locked phones....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]akash3656[/nom]Was wondering does UK have carrier 'locked' phones?I guess yes, then does the general public always get the locked or unlocked version of the phone.In my country, Malaysia, people tend to buy unlocked phones....But since the birth of iphone and Android phones, people are now starting to look at the carrier locked phones....[/citation]
Yes we do get carrier locked phones, but generally speaking the level of service provided by all the big 4 is good enough that their aren't as many gripes as the USA. Not only that but Pay & Go phones are usually only a couple of months behind and unlocking is a breeze.

People only bitch about carrier locking if the network is crap - our networks are fine.

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Yes we do get carrier locked phones, but generally speaking the level of service provided by all the big 4 is good enough that their aren't as many gripes as the USA. Not only that but Pay & Go phones are usually only a couple of months behind and unlocking is a breeze.

People only bitch about carrier locking if the network is crap - our networks are fine.

I understand the UK GSM networks are fine. In fact i am in Malaysia, i have decent networks... here... although i do have sms sending problems, the calling and data usually works well (data a bit pricey). Thanks for telling me... but what does the general public do?
Do they get a contract phone or Pay & Go? - I assume contract phones eh?

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
It would be nice to see some great devices released using WP7. Unfortunately, I think most will continue to run Android and this will simply be too late to the game for MS to catch up.

I'm quite interested in the presentation of the devices and the first round of reviews. It would be nice if Microsoft and other companies also launched their products in Canada at the same time though.

G

To all of the people thinking GSM only means no 3G, you're mistaken. Basically, in layman's terms, it means any sim card carrier will have the phone (ie., T-Mobile and AT&T). It's opposition is CDMA (which also has 3G speeds). Please people, research before making comments regarding technology that others less informed than you may think truly does not have the capabilities.

rectus

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Sigmo[/nom]To all of the people thinking GSM only means no 3G, you're mistaken. Basically, in layman's terms, it means any sim card carrier will have the phone (ie., T-Mobile and AT&T). It's opposition is CDMA (which also has 3G speeds). Please people, research before making comments regarding technology that others less informed than you may think truly does not have the capabilities.[/citation]

Well you can put it that way. Im just tryin to explain myself.
GSM is old school tech, also called 2G as for UMTS/HSDPA is a 3G tech and is working on diferent frequencies with higher data transfer speed. The exsisting GSM base stations can not be upgraded to UMTS like GSM was upgraded to EDGE (higher data trasfer speed) thats why I tought GSM means no 3G speed.

akash3656

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Well you can put it that way. Im just tryin to explain myself.
GSM is old school tech, also called 2G as for UMTS/HSDPA is a 3G tech and is working on diferent frequencies with higher data transfer speed. The exsisting GSM base stations can not be upgraded to UMTS like GSM was upgraded to EDGE (higher data trasfer speed) thats why I tought GSM means no 3G speed.

Yep, fully agree on a few points you made... but sadly the world classifies 2G/EDGE/3G/HSPDA as GSM... and CDMA voice and the data network which i forgot whats it called again as CDMA.....

The only phone that launched w/o 3g on GSM in >2006 was the original bona-fide terrible iPhone 2G/1 (i put the 1 so u won't get confused with the 3g variant of the same phone)

But one thing I like on GSM's 3G is that it can do voice and data w/o relying two different networks.... and voice is clearer on 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.