iTunes Library Storage Options

scobarry

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
I have a 2 TB iTunes library and growing. Today I use a Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I have been researching external Thunderbolt storage options. I have looked at G-Tech, Western Digital, Buffalo, and OWC. Here is what I'm thinking and of course, cost is important. I would like a solution that can scale up to 8 TB, support Raid 5 (which means you can swap out a disk if there is a failure). I am thinking there could be an advantage to boot directly from the Thunderbolt storage solution with the iTunes app installed on the array. Is there a solution available and that markets to consumers?

Solution
If you can network the storage then do that. I keep all my media on a file server and stream it. This works fine with itunes on windows (with a network drive mapped as a local drive).

8TB of data is a lot, you are right to want to deploy raid but please do not act like RAID is a backup solution. My setup is the following

Desktop
- Streams data. No local storage

File Server
- Windows Server 2012 r2
- 2TB media available on the network
- All static data is checksummed and verified every two weeks.

Backup Server
-Ubuntu + ZFS
-6TB ZFS RAIDZ1 (RAID5)

The file server does weekly syncs with the ubuntu server. The ubuntu server deploy's zfs in order to ensure data integrity. All data is checksummed.

My setup might be overkill for you...

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
If you can network the storage then do that. I keep all my media on a file server and stream it. This works fine with itunes on windows (with a network drive mapped as a local drive).

8TB of data is a lot, you are right to want to deploy raid but please do not act like RAID is a backup solution. My setup is the following

Desktop
- Streams data. No local storage

File Server
- Windows Server 2012 r2
- 2TB media available on the network
- All static data is checksummed and verified every two weeks.

Backup Server
-Ubuntu + ZFS
-6TB ZFS RAIDZ1 (RAID5)

The file server does weekly syncs with the ubuntu server. The ubuntu server deploy's zfs in order to ensure data integrity. All data is checksummed.

My setup might be overkill for you. Just remember, its good to have your data in two places at all times.

Solution