Question I've been having random BSODs for months now ?

Aug 10, 2023
I've been having no other problems with my PC except for this. The stop codes are PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (Ntfs.sys), KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (win32kbase.sys and ntoskrnl.exe), and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (however I think the irql one was a confilct between Riot Vanguard (Valorant anti-cheat) and iCUE as Driver Verifier flagged it and it's a known issue; when I uninstalled Valorant and it's anti-cheat I seem to have stopped seeing this one).

I've ran Driver Verifier multiple times, and its flagging random things that I've removed but haven't solved the problem and I've also ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it's saying there are no problems. I've also fiddled with the page file and updated all drivers.

My PC is an HP Z240 Tower Workstation
Xeon E3-1245 v5,
24G RAM,
NVIDIA Quadro M400.

Dump files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KDgwC8NyU699AYSmnyit-WSOToVOQ1vU/view?usp=sharing

ubuysa

Distinguished
The dumps are pointing in two directions. One is that this may be a flaky RAM issue, the other is that this could be a flaky driver that we don't see in the dumps.

TBH I'd really need to know more about your system to make a sensible suggestion on what to do next. Please download and run Speccy. When it's analysed your system, click File > Publish Snapshot. You'll be given a unique URL, please post that URL here.

Reactions: nikolasscacc
Aug 10, 2023
The dumps are pointing in two directions. One is that this may be a flaky RAM issue, the other is that this could be a flaky driver that we don't see in the dumps.

TBH I'd really need to know more about your system to make a sensible suggestion on what to do next. Please download and run Speccy. When it's analysed your system, click File > Publish Snapshot. You'll be given a unique URL, please post that URL here.
Hi, I've ran speccy, here's the URL; http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vWNACG4UvP7HhZslGikoJgB

ubuysa

Distinguished
The first thing I note is that you have mismatched RAM. There are two sticks of 8GB Crucial RAM and two sticks of 4GB Samsung RAM. The speed is the same but all other timings are different. Here's a small example from your Speccy output...
Code:
Type: DDR4
Size: 8192 MBytes
Manufacturer: Crucial Technology
Max Bandwidth: DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz)
Part Number: CT8G4DFD8213.C16FAR2
Serial Number: 3759714612
Timing table
    JEDEC #1
        Frequency: 666.7 MHz
        CAS# Latency: 9.0
        RAS# To CAS#: 9
        RAS# Precharge: 9
        tRAS: 22
        tRC: 31
        Voltage: 1.200 V

Size: 4096 MBytes
Manufacturer: Samsung
Part Number: M391A5143EB1-CPB
Serial Number: 907003227
Week/year: 26 / 17
Timing table
    JEDEC #1
        Frequency: 727.3 MHz
        CAS# Latency: 10.0
        RAS# To CAS#: 10
        RAS# Precharge: 10
        tRAS: 24
        tRC: 34
It's never wise to mix RAM, ideally you want all your RAM from the same slice of silicon. At the least you should buy all your RAM in a single pack to be sure of getting matched RAM.

I'm not claiming that this is the cause of your problem, but it most certainly could be. I'd suggest you remove the two 4GB RAM cards and see whether it's stable on just the two 8GB cards.

We really don't want to do anything further until we've eliminated this potential problem.

Aug 10, 2023
The first thing I note is that you have mismatched RAM. There are two sticks of 8GB Crucial RAM and two sticks of 4GB Samsung RAM. The speed is the same but all other timings are different. Here's a small example from your Speccy output...
Code:
Size: 8192 MBytes
Manufacturer: Crucial Technology
Part Number: CT8G4DFD8213.C16FAR2
Serial Number: 3759714612
Timing table
    JEDEC #1
        Frequency: 666.7 MHz
        CAS# Latency: 9.0
        RAS# To CAS#: 9
        RAS# Precharge: 9
        tRAS: 22
        tRC: 31

Size: 4096 MBytes
Manufacturer: Samsung
Part Number: M391A5143EB1-CPB
Serial Number: 907003227
Week/year: 26 / 17
Timing table
    JEDEC #1
        Frequency: 727.3 MHz
        CAS# Latency: 10.0
        RAS# To CAS#: 10
        RAS# Precharge: 10
        tRAS: 24
        tRC: 34
It's never wise to mix RAM, ideally you want all your RAM from the same slice of silicon. At the least you should buy all your RAM in a single pack to be sure of getting matched RAM.

I'm not claiming that this is the cause of your problem, but it most certainly could be. I'd suggest you remove the two 4GB RAM cards and see whether it's stable on just the two 8GB cards.

We really don't want to do anything further until we've eliminated this potential problem.
My RAM is matched with the other stick in the channel, slots 1 and 3 are the same as well as 2 and 4, does this not eliminate that problem?