[SOLVED] I've got to be missing something. MSI Bios Brick Wall

a2jy2k

Prominent
Dec 9, 2018
Good people of Tom's Hardware, I am going to pull out my hair. I have tried everything to get this computer working that I am willing and able to do, but nothing has seemed to work.

Specs:
I9-10900
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
16 GB (2) 3200 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance
GTX 2080 Super
250GB Samsung 850 SSD (Windows 10)
500GB Samsung 970 NVME SSD
1TB Samsung 860 SSD
3TB Bulk HDD
Corsair GS700 Power
Enermax Aquafusion 240 AIO
Bios version: E7C79IMS.100
Bios Date: 03/24/2020

Today I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, and added an m.2 drive to my rig. I have moved these storage devices a couple of times between different mobos with no issues at all. Upon getting everything set up and ready to go today, I was unable to get beyond the bios for my new motherboard. Every time I would try to get it to go away, it just kept coming back.

After some research I realized that the problem is most likely that I am not able to properly boot to windows from my SSD. The weird part, however, is that the Bios clearly shows me that it recognizes all of my storage devices as being connected, and in fact if I attempt to flash the Bios I can even interact and read from every one of them. In addition, my drives do not show up as bootable media in any form, be it in the F11 override menu at startup, or in my "FIXED BOOT ORDER Priorities" options. Many people have reported having an option underneath those options that I don't have called "Hard Drive BBS Priorities" or something to that effect. So this has left me scratching my head. Over the better part of 6 hours I have tried the following:

1. Restarting my computer (lol)

2. Removing every drive aside from my boot drive.

3. Resetting CMOS a half dozen times via shorting the jumper.

4. Removing drives and resetting CMOS.

5. Flipping on and off every setting in the Bios.

6. Disabling everything in fixed boot order aside from "UEFI Hard Disk".

7. Disabling/Enabling XMP.

8. Mashing every function key at startup.

9. Bargaining with the computer.

10. Securing Sata and power connections

11. Booting in Raid Mode instead of ACHI

After a while I was just grasping at straws.

To clarify, there are two things I want to avoid when solving this issue. I do not own nor do I want to purchase a flash drive from which to boot. And I do not want to reinstall windows in any capacity.

Otherwise everything else is pretty much game. I mean I'd like to not just return the board too that would be nice.

The SSD was working this morning fine, as well.

Thank you all in advance, if you need further clarification I will be happy to provide it!

Solution
I'm mostly concerned about the possibility of data loss. I'm not sure how it works when you have to reinstall windows on a drive that's already got it. Ideally I'd like to make my new m.2 my boot drive but then I'm not sure how to clear it off of my 850.
This is why it’s recommended to backup all important data before you switch motherboards. If you have important data on your m.2 drive you need to back it up. Then install only the m.2 drive in the system and go through the install process of formatting the drive and installing Windows. Once up and running only then connect your other drives.

a2jy2k

Prominent
Dec 9, 2018
I know you don’t want to hear it but I think you already know what the answer is and it seems your luck of transferring Windows has run out. You have already wasted 6hrs on this, it takes 20-25 mins to install Windows and get it running.

I'm mostly concerned about the possibility of data loss. I'm not sure how it works when you have to reinstall windows on a drive that's already got it. Ideally I'd like to make my new m.2 my boot drive but then I'm not sure how to clear it off of my 850.

This is why it’s recommended to backup all important data before you switch motherboards. If you have important data on your m.2 drive you need to back it up. Then install only the m.2 drive in the system and go through the install process of formatting the drive and installing Windows. Once up and running only then connect your other drives.

Solution