[SOLVED] I've noticed something weird about my nvme ssd and i don't know how to resolve it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
So i was getting stutters in my new crucial p2 2tb nvme ssd (and my games ran completely fine in my other nvme drive ) , but I just found out something Really silly, when i ran crystal Disk mark (a benchmarking tool) on my ssd and let it run in the background my games don't stutter anymore , but as soon as i stop crystaldiskmark , the stuttering starts! What?
Does this mean my ssd goes to sleep when it isn't used and that's why my games stutter cause it have to be woken up everytime? , but when i run the benchmark my ssd forced to stay active and i don't get stutters?
Maybe what I'm saying is rubbish and not true , but i swear that's the case, i tested it multiple times and with multiple games, as long as drive stays active, o don't get any stutters

What's the problem here?

Solution
So i was getting stutters in my new crucial p2 2tb nvme ssd (and my games ran completely fine in my other nvme drive ) , but I just found out something Really silly, when i ran crystal Disk mark (a benchmarking tool) on my ssd and let it run in the background my games don't stutter anymore , but as soon as i stop crystaldiskmark , the stuttering starts! What?
Does this mean my ssd goes to sleep when it isn't used and that's why my games stutter cause it have to be woken up everytime? , but when i run the benchmark my ssd forced to stay active and i don't get stutters?
Maybe what I'm saying is rubbish and not true , but i swear that's the case, i tested it multiple times and with multiple games, as long as drive stays active, o don't...

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
i have asked if anyone else has any ideas.

I would try to install windows on the 2tb and see if that makes any difference.
Well i installed windows on my crucial p2 drive, no stutter at all no matter the power plan, this is so bizzare, I've never seen anything behave like this!

Last edited:

Sozisalad

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
Maybe what I'm saying is rubbish and not true , but i swear that's the case, i tested it multiple times and with multiple games, as long as drive stays active, o don't get any stutters

What's the problem here?
To anyone who is reading this in the future from Google, I've finally found the solution after a month ! This problem was really obscure and i couldn't find any solution anywhere!
So first you need to unistall micron driver from storage controller in device manager
And let the generic windows driver control it.
So at this point if you have balanced power plan enabled the stuttering should be lessened considerably, if you switch to high performance (my preferred power plan) the stuttering will return, so now you should open registry and go here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\d639518a-e56d-4345-8af2-b9f32fb26109

All of the sub-folders here have an Attributes REG-DWORD in them (blue icon) , you need to change the values of all of them to 2 (most of them are 1) now you should go to your power plan settings and and your specific power plan andvanced settings, then you can see some hidden options have been appeared, so you need to go to "Primary Transition Latency Tolerance" and change the value from 0 to 15 (plugged in)
That's it! The stuttering is gone by only changing the value from 0 to 15! And btw you can mess around with other settings if you still get stutters with crucial p2. I did stupid amount of works for solving this issue, and yet the solution was this simple, i guess it made me more knowledgeable and wasn't a complete waste of time....

Solution

TRENDING THREADS