Question I've tried everything, and I can't figure out why my pc keeps randomly shutting down.

LordZ19

Commendable
Feb 15, 2021
I'm gonna try my best to put everything on the table with all the "evidence" of my pc being a little funky. About a year ago, I upgraded my old 2019 prebuilt pc with a better CPU, (a Ryzen 3, 2300x to a 5600x) and a new GPU, (gtx 1650 to a rtx 3070.)

Everything was great, with games and media running extremely smoothly, but more demanding games, like RDR2, or Cyberpunk 2077, will run perfectly fine but randomly have my pc completely turn off after around 20-30 minutes in the game. This has also happened less frequently on CS:2, Dishonored 2, and The Witcher 3. I have both tried to bring the graphics settings down as low as possible on each game and the result is the same.

So, extremely frustrated with this, I looked into task manager, which resulted in more strange oddities. I have tried this with every game I had issue with. Every single one resulted in task manager saying that I was only using 1-2% of my GPU at any given time.

What was strange, is that I also tried this with an older game, a 32-bit application, Fallout: New Vegas. This used 30-40% of my gpu. I am using the latest Nvidia drivers.

Regardless of this, I probably figured this was a power supply issue. The most likely thing is that my GPU was too much for my poor power supply unit. I ran a program called HWinfo, and saw that my GPU hovers around 200-220w under heavy load. On paper, it should be okay to run, and up until a few months ago, has never had an issue with demanding titles.

Quickly, another strange thing is that I recently went to edit a video using Premiere Pro for a college project and also came into some issues. I edited out my entire video, set it to render, and it did it just fine. I used H.264 encoding for the render, (which in theory should use my CPU) and the finished project was a .mov full of yellow artifact-ing and unusable footage. The only reason I have a edited copy of my project is because I full screened the preview window, set the timeline to render, and OBS recorded the preview.

I am very much more than happy to provide more context/info on my build or anything of the sort, but it's just incredibly frustrating to work with this PC at times. I feel locked behind what I can actually do with the little freetime I have, and by restricting it to smaller titles just so the thing can run properly is crazy to me.

I personally think it is a power supply issue, but thought it wouldn't hurt to come here for a second opinion, before buying something that can possibly be fixed.
Thank you for reading this, and trying to help me out.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The thing is, I don't even know what my PSU is. I would have to take the thing apart to see it. It's 100% not like a corsair or anything, it's like, prebuilt pc cheap.

Yeah, but it's crucial information. And if it's that bad, it shouldn't have an RTX 3070 connected to it. This is something that should have been known *before* this upgrade.

Really, the good choices here are to either check and see what the PSU is or remove the 3070 and put the 1650 back in.

LordZ19

Commendable
Feb 15, 2021
Yeah, but it's crucial information. And if it's that bad, it shouldn't have an RTX 3070 connected to it. This is something that should have been known *before* this upgrade.

Really, the good choices here are to either check and see what the PSU is or remove the 3070 and put the 1650 back in.
Alright, I'm gonna try to take it out and read what it says. I'll report back here when I can.

LordZ19

Commendable
Feb 15, 2021
Update: The thing is stuck in the case lol. I can't get it out. I also can't see anything that would give away what brand/model this thing is. This means I can't replace it either.

Typing this on a separate computer so sorry for the formatting issues.

LordZ19

Commendable
Feb 15, 2021
Update 2: I was able to scoot the thing and see the label on the other side. Its a "Channel Well Technology GPS600S-X 600w" Full of chinese lettering and all. Most definitely the culprit of our issue.