Jagged edges and poor quality

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

assassins119

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
So i have this problem where the outline of thin objects far away look awful and look like there is no aa but that's not all when i move the pixels like move aswell it makes games unplayable.
I have tried forcing aa in ccc didn't work tried re-installing driver old and new. Don't really know what to do now. I want to know if it is my monitor or not. So if anyone would give me any advice on how to fix or troubleshoot this problem it would be greatly appreciated :)

My Specs:

Intel i5 4690k
8 GB ram
Msi r9 280

If you need anymore specs just say.

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Turning down the memory clock or GPU clock won't affect this. It's a different sort of artifacting.

60c is still easily within safe temperatures for a PC.

I saved that last picture you captured, and I checked something. The resolution is 1024x576. That's not a normal resolution. Did you make it smaller so it'd upload quicker or something?

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Alright.

Looks a lot like scaling artifacts on the icons. If that's the case, then that's because of the resolution the developers created the icons at. I've never played that game, so I can't be certain on that point, ofc.

To answer your previous question, yes, I get jaggies. However, SMAA kills them well enough for me, as I'm on a 15.6" laptop with an IPS display. Screen size and distance heavily affects how noticeable jaggies and other artifacts are.

Just to clarify, you're running both the game and your desktop at 1080p, right? And what's your model of screen?

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Heh. Weird coincidence. I had the same model of monitor once. It's a TN panel, so the colors are guaranteed to be lowish quality. People buy monitors like that for the quick response time, but it's pretty random whether you end up with a picture that actually looks good.

Do you know how to open the Asus Splendid menu for that monitor? See if the Sharpness setting is above 45. That "Sharpness" setting is a Post Effect that raises edge contrast. In games it ends up highlighting jaggies if it's too high, though some people won't notice much difference.

I'm just kind of tossing out ideas that sometimes help, at this point. No idea if we're going to find what's really going on.

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Not sure if the SMAA injector has been updated since I downloaded it, but you pretty much just take the files from it and copy/paste them into the same folder as the game .exe you're trying to run.

I'm sure there are YouTube videos that show what to do far better than I can explain it.

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
You could buy a different monitor, or not. I can't promise it'll help. It certainly won't make jaggies disappear.

I usually find that game mode ruins the colors. There's a long, tedious reason for it. No harm in trying it though.

Beta drivers are usually less stable, as they're released for testing before the official release. I've used a lot of Beta drivers without problems though.

SvediZZ

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
I've got exactly this problem, even on my second monitor which i didn't have the problem on before. Everything is jagged, the letters on this website as an example are very jagged and thing objects and edges in games are flickery as hell. Even the Windows fonts and icons are jagged even though i have ClearType enabled. Hopefully you have solved this problem because i think i'll go to a PC repair shop some day soon.

assassins119

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Ye I will probably do the same