[SOLVED] Jan Windows Update (KB5009543 + KB5008876) ruined file pathways for application

neywherkx

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
Hello,

I'm hoping someone might have a solution to my problem.

Last night my windows auto-updated as I shutdown with the two packages listed in the title.

This morning when I awoke I noticed that the EADesktop shortcut was just a blank white icon, upon clicking it I would receive the standard windows, "Problem with Shortcut" prompt with no option other than to delete it.

When I went to the file directory and tried to launch the .exe from there I receive an error message stating that there is an unresolvable error or that something went wrong and the service failed to start, try again in a minute.

I wanted to try to fix this by reinstalling the application but when I go to add/remove programs it shows up in the list but when I click remove it says it can't find the pathway to the uninstaller.

I went to the file directory and tried to launch the uninstaller only for it to say that EADesktop is installed without any option to remove it. It prompts me to launch it and if I do I receive the same error that I mentioned above.

As I was writing this I noticed that the pathway that windows was looking for in regards to the uninstaller was Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\EA Desktop but all of the installs are actually in Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\StagedEADesktop\EA Desktop

I'm not sure how an update can jumble file pathways like this or if the update is even the reason why.

I hear that EA Desktop is a glitchy piece of software so it could be the issue. However, it was working just prior to the update and I need it in order to play EA's offerings with my Xbox Game Pass for PC subscription.

If anyone else has experienced this or has a solution please let me know, I would like to try to fix this.

Thanks

neywherkx

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
If anyone else encounters this problem I managed to fix it by copying the files from StagedEADesktop into the EA Desktop folder leading up to it. It destaged itself upon file transfer and now works as intended.