News Japan achieves staggering 402 Tb/s data rate with commercial optical fiber — record-breaking performance tapped into unused wavelength bands

OLDKnerd

BANNED
Jun 12, 2024
I am shooting for getting 2.5 gbit when i move to a new apartment, some do offer 5 gbit here and have done so for ages but in very small locations, and i think in / around the horrible Danish capitol, and 10 wild dragons could not drag me to that place.

Been on gigabit for a few decades and really it is damn rare i see that speed realized up / down anywhere.

OLDKnerd

BANNED
Jun 12, 2024
Yeah i know, speeds are fine within the fiber optic cable saturated Denmark, well at least for speed tests that don't really move a whole lot of data.
I have never really tried to find some fast server here that would maybe offer me the full speeds, CUZ i don't do much but survive / try not to go totally insane in Denmark, actually been a while since i stopped thinking in Danish, which some times lead me to have funny conversations here as i try to find the Danish word for the English in my brain.

Worst of all if i get really pissed i change to German for a slew of insults and foul words, and if i don't calm down, well i move on to my limited vocabulary in Japanese which is a excellent language for swearing, unlike what the Merovingian in the Matrix movies feel about the French language.

Also speak a little French but Cest tres petit i think its written.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
You know that is almost certainly a function of whatever server you are connecting to, right?

Moving to 2.5 can't fix that.
2.5 GbE works with Cat 5e cables, and the ports are becoming easy to find (I see them on Intel N100 boxes), so it's a good target for future proofing even if it is not helping with your connection to a remote server today.