News Japanese GPU Mount Uses 120mm Fan to Prop Up Graphics Card

Apr 1, 2020
I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen some sort of arrangement of the motherboard having attachment points for a screw in support bracket connected to the metal support structure on the rear of the motherboard. or a device which attaches to the inside of your side case panel...

Though it would also be nice if in the PCIe 6.0 spec they mandated several support pieces along the length of the board after the PCIe slot which would slide into holes or slats to provide the necessary support as GPU manufacturers seem dead set on massive air cooled heatsinks instead of AIO coolers.

It should only be on the onus of the video card manufacturer to provide a support piece if needed. Motherboard and case manufacturers shouldn't be the ones to do it, since it it could potentially limit designs for something that probably isn't in the top 0.1% of all video card ownership.

Besides, motherboard manufacturers are doing their due diligence by adding structual support to at least the primary PCIe x16 slot.

EDIT: And there's a whole market for these anyway: https://www.amazon.com/gpu-support-bracket/s?k=gpu+support+bracket

Last edited:

Giroro

Splendid
It should only be on the onus of the video card manufacturer to provide a support piece if needed. Motherboard and case manufacturers shouldn't be the ones to do it, since it it could potentially limit designs for something that probably isn't in the top 0.1% of all video card ownership.

Besides, motherboard manufacturers are doing their due diligence by adding structual support to at least the primary PCIe x16 slot.

EDIT: And there's a whole market for these anyway: https://www.amazon.com/gpu-support-bracket/s?k=gpu+support+bracket

In defense of gaming GPU makers, they expect their product to be rack mounted at the end of a PCIe x1 riser cable. They're not designed to be plugged directly into a desktop motherboard.

This might help some. But the way it is designed. It can exert way too much force on the case fan. The strongest it'll ever be. Is how strong the little bit of plastic is the fan's mount holes. Which isn't much. Especially with the leverage the bracket will add.

What would be better is a triangle shaped piece that overlays the 120mm screw holes. With your fan fitting inside a lip and designed to go parallel to the motherboard. That way it's braced directly to the case and can spread the load.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
But the way it is designed. It can exert way too much force on the case fan.
That plastic is pretty stout and thick, always requires a fair bit of torque driving in screws on a new fan. I've hung radiators on the back of fans, its more than capable of adding support to a chunky GPU. Also if you observe the picture again I think it is actually attached to the case through the fan which is usually how we attach things to fans. The only issue I can think of will be the tight space you have to work within in to get it set just right. While this is close to the support bracket, this is most beneficial for 2.5-4 slot cards but even for single slot WC block cards this will significantly resolve strain on the PCIE port, there will be some cantilever force but the pci-e locking mechanism with the bracket and this will keep it snug and get rid of any wiggle.

This might help some. But the way it is designed. It can exert way too much force on the case fan. The strongest it'll ever be. Is how strong the little bit of plastic is the fan's mount holes. Which isn't much. Especially with the leverage the bracket will add.
I'm willing to bet they used a long screw with a nut to hold both the fan and the bracket onto the chassis.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
GPU cards sagging, CPU coolers sagging, motherboards warping, case cooling issues... they are all related to the same root cause: Putting the case in a vertical position on its "side" instead of horizontally which is how personal computers were conceived to work in the first place. The engineers of the 1970's and 1980's wisely allowed for such unforeseen explosive growth of components without having to look into the future; they simply applied clean and practical design principles. Then marketing went and screwed it all up and here we are.

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed
GPU cards sagging, CPU coolers sagging, motherboards warping, case cooling issues... they are all related to the same root cause: Putting the case in a vertical position on its "side" instead of horizontally which is how personal computers were conceived to work in the first place. The engineers of the 1970's and 1980's wisely allowed for such unforeseen explosive growth of components without having to look into the future; they simply applied clean and practical design principles. Then marketing went and screwed it all up and here we are.
I doubt the engineers of then were expecting components and heat sinks to weigh as much as they do now. Besides that, the tower form factor was around since the 80s too (https://retrocomputing.stackexchang...-factor-appear-and-when-did-it-become-popular). The only reason why the desktop form factor had traction in home markets was because they advertised it as a place to put an accompanying CRT monitor that the computer manufacturer provided. Then 3rd party monitors came along with their own stand and made the "use your computer as a stand" moot.

I'd say rotating the motherboard 90 degrees so the I/O is on top would be better for at least video cards. That way the card's weight is now on the chassis, rather than the slot. The market in CPU coolers seemed to gone the way of if you're using something higher than 65W, get an AIO, which makes the heat sink weight problem moot.

Reactions: cyrusfox
I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen some sort of arrangement of the motherboard having attachment points for a screw in support bracket connected to the metal support structure on the rear of the motherboard. or a device which attaches to the inside of your side case panel...

These do exist already, and have for some time. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean. As for motherboard attachment points, you should check out these:

Lian-Li GB-001 Anti-Sag Bracket

This is the one I'm using:

Lian-Li GB-002 Anti-Sag Bracket

Both those attach to the motherboard behind the GPU, and are fairly hidden.

As for attaching to the case, EVGA cards come with a bracket for this. However it's only supported by a handful of cases, and even I an owner of several EVGA cards, can't tell you which cases come with support for this bracket EVGA is including with all their cards. Nor can I tell you why EVGA didn't bother painting / powder coating these brackets, other than they knew no one was going to use them?

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I doubt the engineers of then were expecting components and heat sinks to weigh as much as they do now.
Exactly my point. What I said was "The engineers of the 1970's and 1980's wisely allowed for such unforeseen explosive growth of components without having to look into the future." (emphasis added) Note that I said "unforeseen" and "without having to look into the future". I meant that they didn't have to anticipate large GPUs or heat sinks. The logical and practical application of engineering, i.e., a table like structure to put stuff on (motherboard) is simply common sense.

Besides that, the tower form factor was around since the 80s too
Well fine, but the exact year the tower form factor become mainstream (I'd say that was in the 90's even if the "existed" in the 80's) is beside the point. The point is it came later as an "improvement" that ends up causing issues the original layout wouldn't.