Java Error 1723

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureFlameXIII

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Hi,
i downloaded the java runtime environment 6.0 and tryed to install it but i keep getting the error 1723. Saying that there is a .dll file missing or something. I re downloaded it like 5 times and the same thing happens. I have a 32-bit version of windows 7 and a 7100 build.
Please help.

Solution
Just to be clear, you're downloading from an official source, right? Error 1723 usually happens when there's something wrong with Windows Installer 3.0. Which is weird in your case, because I'm assuming Installer is already integrated in Windows 7. In any case here's a knowledge base article that might be helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229683

MomoCC

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Just to be clear, you're downloading from an official source, right? Error 1723 usually happens when there's something wrong with Windows Installer 3.0. Which is weird in your case, because I'm assuming Installer is already integrated in Windows 7. In any case here's a knowledge base article that might be helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229683

Solution

PeteOhki

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I'm also trying to solve this annoying--stubborn--problem. From what I have research so far, yes, the problem can be caused by a 'broken' Windows Installer, which would mean that ANY install or uninstall that utilizes Windows Installer will not work and get the same error. (Solution to that would be to remove and reinstall Windows Installer.) However, "error 1723" (missing DLL) is such a generic problem that any required DLL file would trigger this error. Case in point, if you ever do any reinstall or uninstall of Java 6, Windows Installer would be looking for a few DLL files in the Java folder. If any of those files are missing or corrupted, you will be stuck with that 1723 error. Me, the entire folder is gone. Now how on Earth do I make Windows Installer think that the current Java SE/JRE is really not there, or how do I fully clear/uninstall Java (without those DLLs) so I can reinstall the current version?

matthswen

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I ran into this problem and after several hours of searching for a solution i finally figured it out. I tried countless solutions on tons of different forums. What I did is I deleted the jre6 folder located at C:/Program Files(x86)/Java/jre6/. Then i copied the jre6 folder from another computer that had a functioning Java runtime environment, onto the computer with the 1723 error.

PeteOhki

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I agree that would be the easiest and simplest solution if you have a recent copy of the jre folder somewhere. (Of course, that's assuming it's not a problem of the silly Windows Installer, InstallShield, and chances are it is not InstallShield).

Me, I finally threw in the towel, and scoured my registry file to delete every reference to the jre6 folder, the Users/[WindowsAccountName]/AppData/LocalLow/Sun/Java folder (I have Win7), and any subkeys to all versions of Java. Before that, I made sure I had a backup of the registry file by exporting the entire file to a ".reg" file. Also, I was very careful to avoid deleting any reference made within other programs' registry keys like Adobe Photoshop and such. A very tedious and time-consuming task (for safety sake, regedit does not allow you to delete more than one reference/regkey at a time).

BTW, if you ever need to install both the 32bit and 64bit versions (and this need has been addressed by Sun-Java in regards to using both a 32bit-only program and a 64bit-only program that require Java--like Internet Explorer), make sure you put the 32bit Java and the 64bit Java in separate folders. In Windows 7, I believe that Java 6 would normally install the 32bit in the "Program Files (x86)" folder, and the 64bit in the "Program Files" folder.

I also believe the version of the Control Panel Java module is dictated by which version of Java you installed last, which is only important for the auto-update feature (I suspect that the module still controls both 32bit and 64bit versions for everything else). I find that whenever you open a webpage that uses advance Java, a Java icon pops up in your system tray (the one with the clock). When I have 32/64bit Javas in separate folders, the Java Control Panel listed in the icon submenu is the version associated with the Java used in the webpage.

Status
Not open for further replies.