Java Hangs / Fails To Load In Any Browser

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I'm running Windows 7 x64, JDK 7 U4 and the Java plugin just won't work correctly in any browser, be it IE9, Chrome 19, or Firefox 12. Both the Java installation and the browsers are 32-bit versions. The browsers simply hang or display nothing when a Java applet is supposed to load.

I do Java development, so I need the JDK.

I have tried everything it seems. Completely removed the JDK and reinstalled it, tried both JDK 7 U3 as well as whatever the latest version of JDK 6 is, tried with just the JRE, but the problem is still the same. I also used a tool called JavaRa to completely remove any remnants of Java before re-installing it.

The Java plugin seems to be correctly listed in all browsers (for instance in "about : plugins" in Chrome), with the correct version, too. In Control Panel -> Java, I also have "Enable the next-generation Java Plug-in" enabled.

Apart from the browser issue, Java seems to be correctly installed, as I can run "java" or "javac" from a command prompt and it will give the expected output. I am also able to compile Java source files as well as run Java bytecode without issues.

A few times I have been able to get it to work in a browser. All of these times were directly after a fresh installation of the JDK/JRE, but then it seems to stop working after a short period of time. Strange...

also check if your using an older version of an anti virus. a lot of them have web shields and it may be blocking the new version of java from running. see if you can turn off your anti virus and see if the java works.

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I'm using the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials with updated definitions. Never had any conflicts between it and Java before.

How would I go about manually hunting down program directories and registry entries? Searching for 'Java(TM) 6" or 'Java(TM) 7' in the registry returns no results and Java is completely removed from my 'Program Files (x86)' directory. Anywhere else I should be looking?

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
There were a ton of matches for "Java" under those registry nodes, and I did not really feel safe about removing them.

Instead, I let the registry cleaner of CCleaner find all invalid registry entries for me and only removed those that referred to Java, not wanting to mess with anything else.

That seems to have helped, at least now Java applets can again run in Chrome, but in neither Firefox nor in IE does it work - in both of these browsers, any Java applet still seems to make the it hang.

I'm going to hold my verdict on whether this is a fix or not as I have seen this exact behavior before - Java applets working in Chrome but then failing to keep working after a while.

Well then, I think a more thorough purge of java-related entries may be in order. Clear out any Java program / applet directories. You may very well have a malware infucktion of some sort.

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
How would I go about finding Java program and applet directories? I have already used the Java Control Panel to delete temporary files prior to completely uninstalling and re-installing Java but without any luck.

By the way, local Java applications work just fine.

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

Already did, as per one of my previous posts -

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Still haven't been able to solve this issue. I updated to JDK 7U5 x86 (made sure to completely uninstall 7U4 and used JavaRa), but the same problem remains.

soppypoopops

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Same problem here.. had it for months,
I think its something to do with bit windows 7 64bit only
and its STILL not fixed.
I have Re-installed windows twice, EVERY browser i try just show the Java circle loading but nothing happens.

yvrao

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Java Verify failure unable to Configure Java Control Panel does not open ( Fix : )
this is a regular ( windows 7 bug related ) problem after successful installation of Java ( jre ) and fresh installation of Windows7 64bit or 32bit on my laptop or desktop. what worked perfectly for me was setting COMPATIBILITYMODE=WINDOWSNT to make windows launch the JP2LAUNCHER.EXE and JAVAW.EXE files properly.
jp2launcher.exe windowsNT compatibility solves Java Verify failure problem at https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
javaw.exe windowsNT compatibility solves unable to open or Configure Java Control Panel problem.

* search for JAVAW.EXE inside c:\program files\java\....\bin
or c:\program files(x86)\java\.....\bin\
* right-click mouse on JAVAW application icon logo
* click PROPERTIES
* click COMPATIBILITY
* tick the checkbox at COMPATIBILITY MODE
* choose WINDOWS NT service pack
* click APPLY or click OK
Now, the Configure Java Control Panel will start opening and working.

* search for JP2LAUNCHER.EXE inside c:\program files\java\....\bin
or c:\program files(x86)\java\.....\bin\
* right-click mouse on JP2LAUNCHER
* click PROPERTIES
* click COMPATIBILITY
* tick the checkbox at COMPATIBILITY MODE
* choose WINDOWS NT service pack
* click APPLY or click OK
Now, the Verify Java will be successful at https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

if we find 2 or 3 versions of JP2LAUNCHER and JAVAW when we search, then we must repeat the above for all of them.

in the Configure Java Control Panel Advanced tab we can set "Do not check" certificate revocation and disable security verification. and in the Security tab we may Edit Site List... for the Exception Site List ( add URLs to unblock sites )