Java Recommended To Be Disabled Because of New Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Why hack java

in america, there are so many people that willingly hand over any personal information u want.
just say u are giving away some free

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Wait, again? Didn't they recommend you disable Java a few months ago cause of some vulnerability?[/citation]

Java is only safe to run during the first 1/4 phase of a waxing moon. You will need to wait until next month to run your poorly performing application with GUI that feels like it is from the 90's.

We have an application at the office that relies on Java. One of our managers told all his employees to disable java, and later me that there was an issue with the server because the App wasn't working.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ss202sl[/nom]We have an application at the office that relies on Java. One of our managers told all his employees to disable java, and later me that there was an issue with the server because the App wasn't working.[/citation]
Yay for managers who doesn't know how things work!

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
If we had to disable every piece of software that has an exploit we would be able to turn on our computers. Exploits happen all the time I'm sure Oracle will patch this soon enough.

The most important piece of any security system is the person using it.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
"Security experts recommend disabling your network card to remain safe on the internet"

Or as many Toms readers have found out. Use noscript, ghostery, flashblock, add block plus, and only load plugins when manually approved instead of on demand.

Poof all the crappy advertisements disappear, and so do all the viruses, unless your stupid and intentionally load all the banner adds on every page.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
"Security experts recommend disabling your network card to remain safe on the internet"

Or as many Toms readers have found out. Use noscript, ghostery, flashblock, add block plus, and only load plugins when manually approved instead of on demand.

Poof all the crappy advertisements disappear, and so do all the viruses, unless your stupid and intentionally load all the banner adds on every page.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]If we had to disable every piece of software that has an exploit we would be able to turn on our computers. Exploits happen all the time I'm sure Oracle will patch this soon enough.The most important piece of any security system is the person using it.[/citation]
Only problem is that they find a HUGE vulnerability with Java like every other version. I have been hearing about people recommending you disable java because of a vulnerability in the new version for years now.

G

No, Java can't really "die". It is the only fully Object-Oriented and portable language built from the ground up where C++ mimics OO acting as a wrapper for C (which is not at all OO). All application languages since Java are trying to mimic the Java syntax and design paradigm: C#, D, etc.

loneninja

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]JAVA is dead, just waiting for a day when they officially say it is dead for good.[/citation]
To say Java is dead is to say Android is dead, most apps require Java code to function and the core operating system probably does too. Java is a widely used programming language, it's not going away any time soon.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]Between Java and Flash most computers are a security mess. Maybe it's time for them to go away.[/citation]
What language do you program Android with?

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]What language do you program Android with?[/citation]

I wasn't going to say that. I can't find my asbestos shirt and pants. ;-)

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]Between Oracle and Adobe most computers are a security mess. Maybe it's time for them to go away.[/citation]
Let me fix that for ya

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As someone that spent a couple of years coding Java applets, I agree that Java is terrible and should just die already. Terrible performance, buggy, security holes everywhere. I think the fact that it is taught in many schools (it was by far the main language I learned in school) is the reason that it is still hanging on.

ankaj

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Am I missing something? I thought the article was about Java Script, not the Java programming language.

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
[citation][nom]JohnMan[/nom]No, Java can't really "die". It is the only fully Object-Oriented and portable language built from the ground up where C++ mimics OO acting as a wrapper for C (which is not at all OO). All application languages since Java are trying to mimic the Java syntax and design paradigm: C#, D, etc.[/citation]

Those languages are not trying to mimic Java, they are an evolution step, c++ as the first O language, then Java, and then the rest. C# implements a lot of concept that are not available in Java, (LINQ etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.