Question Jitter in Valorant

kryspin34

Reputable
Nov 14, 2018
It seems like a really weird issue, but:
I have fiber internet 600mbps. I play on european servers. Valorant proviedes some net statistics, such as RTT Avg and Max, Network Rtt Jitter. My RTT average is usually around 28-32 on frankfurt servers. My RTT max used to spike to even above 40, and RTT Jitter had some around 10ms spikes. However, I've built a new pc recently. I found out that changing lan ports from 1gbps to 2.5gbps and vice versa, fixed the stability issue. However, turning off PSU or unplugging PC from power in general, makes the issue come back. Sometimes even turning PC OFF and turning it back ON brings back the issue, althought I've had more instances when doing that didn't affect the internet stability. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it? I have same issue on two different PCS, and only replugging ethernet cable to a different port seems to fix it.

I've got Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING 2.0 on my old PC and Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero on my new PC. I use them simultaneously. I've built the new PC solely for gaming purposes.
That's what it looks like in the game: View: https://imgur.com/a/PEsi2Ck

The first image is from my old PC, the second one if from the new one.
Just to be clear, I've ran into this issue on both of my PCS, but I've been able to fix it on my new PC since the motherboard has two lan ports, and by pure luck I've found the solution.

Reactions: Limanto
What are you getting for jitter. 10ms is nothing. It is withing the margin of error on the ability to test. You in general won't see issues until you get large numbers like 100ms.

A key thing I see on both motherboard is that garbage "gamer" network software. Asus calls this gamerfirst and your other board is using CFOSspeed. You want to uninstall that software.

kryspin34

Reputable
Nov 14, 2018
I've never used CFOSspeed, and I don't have that asus gamefirst.

I know that it's not that serious of an issue, but I just wonder how come ethernet port change makes my game more stable, and if there's a way to make it permanent

It is not likely ethernet port related. It almost has to be software if the problem is actually jitter. Jitter is caused by traffic being held in a buffer. A ethernet port sends data and it either gets there or is damaged and is dropped.

Software buffering is handled at much higher software levels. CFOSspeed and gamefirst install as part of the bloatware that comes with the motherboard drivers. You have to uncheck stuff to prevent it from installing.

Now maybe you have a cable the intermittently defective and what you are seeing is packet loss and not jitter.

kryspin34

Reputable
Nov 14, 2018
I don't have any of these apps on both my PCs.

I have same issue on two cables, one is brand new.

I found out that the problem occurs not necessarily when the PC has power cut off of it, but after full Windows shutdown. So if I shut down my PC from Windows level, and then turn it back on using power on button, everything is okay. But when I restart it from the Windows level, the issue is back. So I assume, if I'd turn Fast Startup off, I'd have this issue every time I'd turn on my PC.

Jul 10, 2022
It seems like a really weird issue, but:
I have fiber internet 600mbps. I play on european servers. Valorant proviedes some net statistics, such as RTT Avg and Max, Network Rtt Jitter. My RTT average is usually around 28-32 on frankfurt servers. My RTT max used to spike to even above 40, and RTT Jitter had some around 10ms spikes. However, I've built a new pc recently. I found out that changing lan ports from 1gbps to 2.5gbps and vice versa, fixed the stability issue. However, turning off PSU or unplugging PC from power in general, makes the issue come back. Sometimes even turning PC OFF and turning it back ON brings back the issue, althought I've had more instances when doing that didn't affect the internet stability. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it? I have same issue on two different PCS, and only replugging ethernet cable to a different port seems to fix it.

I've got Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING 2.0 on my old PC and Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero on my new PC. I use them simultaneously. I've built the new PC solely for gaming purposes.
That's what it looks like in the game: View: https://imgur.com/a/PEsi2Ck

The first image is from my old PC, the second one if from the new one.
Just to be clear, I've ran into this issue on both of my PCS, but I've been able to fix it on my new PC since the motherboard has two lan ports, and by pure luck I've found the solution.
It sounds like you have electrical issues at home that are affecting your internet.