John Carmack Gives PlayStation 4 a Thumbs Up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Just one more reason I think consoles are dead. They're killing themselves softly while google/valve help this along.

Not putting xbox360/ps4 out until Nov is making it worse. Ouya, shield and steambox etc will all beat them to the punch and win a lot of customers. Consoles shot in the foot will be a tough sell come xmas. No use games, internet always on? IF sony follows this strategy they're both sunk.

Look at Vita, Wiiu, 3ds sales and projections. Even from nintendo themselves, cutting software from 24mil to 16mil units...damn! that's a lot and hardware projections across the board 17%. The trio of devices I mentioned are not even here yet, phones and tablets are doing this damage alone!

Good riddance consoles... :) Perhaps we'll finally get out of your 7-10yr stone ages holding back my pc games :) Socs/Vid cards are revved every year (socs every 9mo now or so) so I think they'll surpass next gen console in a year after they come out (maybe 2). Ouya is revving yearly they said, Steambox is upgradable so I suspect NV will do the same with shield. It won't take long for a soc to catch the underpowered next gen consoles (look at what carmack said, just a bit better of the same crap). So phone/tablet/android or steam consoles should take over and be good for AAA titles by xmas 2015 probably. I like this roadmap :) Vita is almost dropped by devs already. The same will happen to consoles under the TV shortly. By xmas this year they'll be on a road to 500mil units per year on android/arm and devs will migrate with those devices (and it's supposed to be 1.5B units by 2015 end I think gartner said). Why would you dev for consoles if they can't even sell a 100mil in the first year?

Total units of ps3/xbox360/vita/3ds/wii/u are under 300mil (I think about 200mil actually). That took years. By xmas phones/tablets will do that in a 2 month period and keep growing until it's happening monthly (shield/ouya/steambox will add to these numbers).

linuxlowdown

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for your insights @somebodyspecial. I wish more users would speculate with such good imagination of the future. I agree that I can see Google's plan for the future (dystopian). They want ultimate control. The conspiracy would be that the US government is in on the plan because it will, in effect, be a giant spy network that will make Echelon look... well so 1960s. I still believe that Intel want to try to shut down Nvidia. They are a strong competitor to Intel in mobile, due to their graphics IP. By cutting off their R&D money coming from their discrete GPU division, it will strangle their progress in mobile. And within 4 years (in this tough economic times) Nvidia should be on its knees.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Carmack has been irrelevant for years. Who cares about what he has to say, really? Rage was $5 within months after release because it sucked badly. Everything he has done since Quake III sucked pretty much and was a bargain bin material.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Carmack? He may be still making sense in consoles, but he is irrelevant in PC gaming.

I think the guys from witcher probably have more impact than him on PC gaming.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
isnt 1080p built in DX11 the best thing we can ask for at the moment for a console? 1080p is the standard and DX11 is the best so far(dont know much of opengl though). 60fps is not the best, but its still a big step up from 30. much bigger than 60 to 120. sure, for a pc gamer whose used to all those things, it isnt very new or exciting. but for a console gamer whose been locked down to those expectations it is new and will change gaming in some way for them.

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
"Even Epic Games chose to leave Gears of War 3 at 30fps despite being able to push the framerate further. "Our target is, and shall remain, 30fps,""

Way to be complacent with what many people would deem the bare minimum.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
ID hasn't released a good game since Quake 3. hahaha.

I can't believe these guys are still around OR newsworthy.

How is this article relevant to anything?

In other news: Tom Green likes the PS4. It is another place for his bumbumbum.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I better start saving up for a new rig. Once everything settles down, I probably won't have to get a new one in the next 5 years.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Well of course Carmack approves of this, he was a fan of the innovations Nintendo made with the Wii, and this time around Sony is copying the Wii U right from the bat with social networking features and second screen capability.

Unlike most of the talking heads of the PC industry I have some respect for Carmack and think he's an intelligent guy, but he's certainly no messiah either. Rage was trash, even going back Doom sold more for what it was at the time than the epic game design. His rocketry endeavors have nothing to do with gaming and his VR efforts still haven't made VR a common device. id Engine is barely used and has really only served FPS games. He really doesn't matter that much in the industry at the moment. Plus, it seems a lot of people are reading too much into this. Just because he said "hey it looks interesting" does not mean he's used a dev kit or has even looked at one to judge it from a design perspective. Using APUs for consoles is a no brainer from an engineering perspective.

Being he prefers open endedness, I wonder what he's going to say about it when the console is actually out. Something's real suspicious about the way Sony picks their words when it comes to the question of "will it play used games?"

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]linuxlowdown[/nom]Thanks for your insights @somebodyspecial. I wish more users would speculate with such good imagination of the future.[/citation]You want more users to speak out of their rears? OK why not!

I think that the PS4 is a decoy to lull MS into a false sense of security, and the PS5 is going to be released in 2014 with Cell 2.0 and Nvidia Triple Titan Two, with ten times the power of the PS4 and Xbox 720. It will sell for $1200, but people will still buy it because it will be the primary vehicle for Blu-ray's successor - UV-ray 4K3DHi10P. Just LOOKING at one in action renders all your existing Blu-ray discs inoperable, by an unknown method (it is rumored you can restore playback functionality with a black Sharpie, however).

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Again... why does anyone give a shit about John Carmack's opinion?[/citation]

Because unlike many others, he isn't ok with settling for "good enough" when it comes to graphics performance.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Again... why does anyone give a shit about John Carmack's opinion?[/citation]
hes probably the only developer in the business who strives for innovation. Hes also makes a hell of a game engine. id tech 5 may not be used a whole lot today, but it is by no means a bad engine. he(and his crew) will design a new engine, or optimize id tech 5 for the new console. He knows whats in the console. the fact that he is an innovation fanatic, wants more graphics in every game, and makes one of the top game engines makes his opinion relevant to console discussions.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I can't believe people talk such trash about Mr. Carmack just because they didn't like Rage.

Admittedly, I didn't feel much pull into Rage either, loved Doom 3 though, but I admired the engine and mechanics of the game, the world was beautiful (Sure it had it's problems in beauty dept, but I could name games off that list) and the FPS mechanics are what we expect from id software, considering they almost invented it.

You guys can dismiss him if you want, but I respect him and his opinion. Hell, he built engines for half the games I've come to love, I'm not going to toss him into the recycle bin because 1 title didn't meet up to previous standards set by his team in every aspect.

And if the guy who previously hated consoles can come out and say the PS4 made some good choices, I'm not going to dispute it, unless i see for myself that I feel he's wrong. (Which I doubt.)

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]and i like Ice cream better than i like dog poo.[/citation]

That's a pretty broad statement. Wouldn't that depend on the ice cream, and the dog?

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Carmack? Seriously... this idiot lost the industry's respect when he launched the half baked, misdirected buggy as hell, can't even get the basics right, pos that was RAGE.... Go Sony... trot out the has been....

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Semiaccurate *USED* to be a good site... for rumors and humor. But since they/Charlie closed down user comments and charge to read articles, that site is useless.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Oh?

You mean like almost every single developer/publisher in the entire industry?
That's a lot of lost respect, since there's only a few left who actually produce and publish quality titles.

And quite honestly, despite any other problems Rage had, the shooter mechanics on it were top notch, as with every other FPS title by id.

[citation][nom]psiboy[/nom]Carmack? Seriously... this idiot lost the industry's respect when he launched the half baked, misdirected buggy as hell, can't even get the basics right, pos that was RAGE.... Go Sony... trot out the has been....[/citation]

G

Hmm well I for one am not thrilled. They listen to what the developers wanted in 2008 and stayed with those stats. This means only mild improvements for PC gamers, since the console specs. dictates the quality of most of the games coming to all platforms. Only positive note is that they do seem to support x-64. I understand why they have stayed with such a tiny CPU considering that they chose to put AMD in both consoles. Why they chose to cram an AMD product, notorious for heat problems, into a confined space such as a console is beyond me though (well OK price might factor in here).

Status
Not open for further replies.