John Carmack Just Left id Software to Focus on Oculus VR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I hope this means Zenimax does the smart thing and turn Id into strictly engine/tool development for all the other studios. I think as a large publisher, having one section concentrating strictly on the engine and tool support would go a long way in creating well developed games; especially if its Id.
Working with various engines, a lot are outdated and most have poor tools and integration. This means there is always room for a good well developed engine that reduces the pipeline backend. The Hero Engine is probably the current pariah of middle-ware engines. Its tools are nothing short of incredible compared to what's out there. I want more of those engines on modern apis.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

I'm not sure what you're smoking, but it must be strong.

379 Grams (g)
=
0.83555 Pounds (lb)

It's not even 1 pound. You can wear it all day and not have any issues. After you've had it on your face for a few minutes you forget it's even there. Frankly you sound like someone who's never even put one on. Or someone who has the extremely thin, weak, brittle neck of a 105 year old lady.

The tech is certainly there. With the advent of ultra light, ultra thin, HD screens that are dirt cheap and common as hell and the lag-free motion tracking, NOW is the absolute best time for VR.

I've personally worn this thing for hours on end testing it out and the weight isn't even a factor.

For anyone wondering what 370g feels like on your head, you only have to look at gaming headsets. The G35 and G930 gaming headsets from logitech weight almost exactly the same as the Oculus rift at 370g. The Razer Chimaera also weighs in at 369g.

The weight is beyond light. If you have any set of full-ear cupping headsets like the ones listed above, and aren't bothered by the weight, then the oculus rift's weight would absolutely not bother you.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Diff people have diff way of defining weight and yes I think headset are heavy too which is why I prefer earphone. 50-100g like a typical sunglasses is only the ideal weight for me.

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
i have the rift like 4 months now...

I never play more then 90min, not becuz of weight but the other problem.
but I can tell you weight is last thing you thinking about when you play game with it. more so.. if you want weight of sunglasses then don't buy it.

rift dev kit use to be lack of any support game. when I first got it, most I can play with is half lift 2 and few other official support game. then 2 month ago there 2 3rd party DX9 driver you can buy (around 50$ each) they let you play DX9 game on rift. so you got tons of old steam game to try out.
I buy tridef3d to play fallout3.. there high texture setting within def3d driver make game look a lot better then native rift driver and games lot more enjoyable.

the problem with rift dev kit is their extremely low resolution(that will fix when they come out with consumer one), if you play any FPS it make it hard to aim the target from far away.

best game with rift so far is not any new game, but rather old Quake 1.. yup the original quake. why?? the low texture also make it easier to aim the target. make it much easier kill. STALKER with tridef3d got most awesome 3d effect.. SKYRIM looks best when enable high texture in tridef, but I cant picklock due to some bug.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Yup, the weight is a non-issue. I don't even buy that guy's complaint that headsets "weigh too much". It seems too silly to me. I think he's just trying to defend his failed assertion too much.

But yes, the resolution is really low. It's a dev kit. It's just designed for testing and developing content. That's why I recommend people wait for the consumer version if they're interested in getting one.

The Dev kit's lack of plug and play support combined with low resolution are more than enough reasons to wait for the consumer model. But hey, if you're a PC hardware enthusiast with $300 to burn and you don't mind re-purchasing it when the consumer model comes out, feel free to throw the cash at Oculus. It's supporting a good cause, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.