Join us For A Tom's Hardware Ask Me Anything With AMD, Thursday April 6th

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonsmint878

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Any update on the wraith coolers and avalibility to buy e.g. The Wraith Max, might it be available to purchase at R5 Launch.

Also will stock RGB coolers be able to be brought separately, thanks.

johnson151168

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
I will be in the market for a new processor soon(actually as soon as the R5 drops) Which processor do you recommend for strictly gaming at a price of under $250? I don't really play anything besides LoL and WoW but would like to try out quite a few new games and I know my FX will not be up to the challenge. I am currently using a RX 480 8gb card. Thanks in advance!

PS: There are no words that can describe my excitement towards AMD's current path and new developments!

cleeve

Illustrious

many applications (Rendering/encryption/encoding) will take as many cores and threads as you can throw at them, right now. Those are the easy targets for multi-core optimization.

Aside from that, we expect game developers to make use of DirectX 12 and Vulkan to take better use of CPU resources going forward.

This benefit all multi-core processors, but the more cores and threads, the more the benefit. In these situations, Ryzen 7 CPUs should perform better than Ryzen 5.

I was just wondering if you could tell us a little about Ryzens development, as in, how long ago was it that it was started? Was it before the bulldozer release? Shortly after? I know these things can take a great amount of time to go from concept to release, so i guess I'm curious about how long Ryzen spent to make it.

I have recommended many CPU's and GPU's when helping people on these forums over the years, I do my best not to have any bias for any company over the other, but the benchmarks I have been seeing for Ryzen 7 have made it difficult to know exactly which product to recommend. There are 4 SKU's out to challenge Intels. Is there a chart or list you have that show exactly what your intended CPU vs CPU matchups are? I know 1800x vs 6900k, but what is the 1800, 1700x and 1700 targeting? (Note: With GPUs it's much easier as pricing and performance go head to head, but AMD is offering the 1800x significantly below the targeted 6900k.)

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I'm curious about the 14nm low power process as far as I know it was not designed for high clock speeds..

I know it was originally Samsung tech an modified by globalfoundries.

Already straight off the mark, AMD & GF are hitting higher speeds than anyone predicted or expected, an with better IPC I might add than anyone dared to dream of, congrats btw.

As the process matures an get's tweeked an refined, are you's expecting to start hitting, higher an higher speeds ?

I heard the tech was designed to go very fast. Could be wrong bout this actually..

I know it's new tech an it's maturing right on front of our eye's, but will it ever hit speeds like Kaby Lake does when overclocked or even close for that matter..?

For the first the generation of a CPU to be this good an so close to the best in IPC an performance, I can't help wondering how much more is left in the tank when it comes to clocks speeds.

j

chriscambridge

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
We do data processing using single and dual Xeons.

We actually know very little about AMD and the new Ryzens, as we are more Intel/NVidia users.

Would the Ryzens and their related motherboards have anything to offer us, as what we require is high core count with hyper-threading, at the quickest frequency if possible with AVX/AVX2 and auto-overclocing, and DDR4 RAM?

Thanks.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Cleeve! Y u no GPU review?!

tumblr_l96b01l36p1qdhmifo1_500.jpg

Seriously, it is awesome to see you back answering questions for AMD. I am looking forward to seeing what the R5s can do since my 8320 is getting long in the tooth.

LordStreetguru

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
Probably too late

but why didn't you guys name it R4/6/8/12/16?

It's a higher number than intel for one, and it scales perfectly with the amount of cores each chip has, for example an R7=R8 meaning 8 cores.

awetle

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
How fast can the infinity fabric clock theoretically? Will we see it on an iteration of ryzen where it'll still be present with ddr5 and the higher speeds?

Amd can boy have been since the 486 days. Its so hard not pull the trigger, just waiting on r5 reviews

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
how soon will the bios and ram speed bugs and scheduling issues ect will be fixed cuase I wanted to get a ryzen cpu but was waiting for the bugs to be ironed out?

What exactly do some of these software optimizations for Ryzen entail? The performance optimizations for Ashes of the Singularity, for example, were pretty significant, and at least in Tom's benchmarks brought performance of the Ryzen 1800x slightly above that of the 7700k in their tests. Certainly part of it is the game's heavy use of multithreading at play, as evidenced by the 6900k's performance over the 7700k there, but that particular round of optimizations improved performance on Ryzen without doing the same for Intel's chips to a simlar degree, and in a way that didn't seem to simply show a preference for more cores.

I've heard that communication between cores on the same CCX might be significantly faster than it is across different CCXes, so is this partly a matter of keeping threads that communicate often on the same CCX, to avoid that increased latency? If it is, could that also be something that affects communications with graphics driver threads, and might there be ways for graphics driver developers, such as the Radeon team, to make sure their driver is operating on the same CCX as the thread that's communicating with it the most? It seems like something like that could potentially improve performance even for games that don't get specifically optimized for Ryzen.

FireDFL

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
Hey, AMD. Glad you're here.

First of, I'd like to apologize for my initial criticism on Ryzen. I really am sorry for underestimating you. I'm glad you finally resurfaced in the CPU market, however! My first build was AMD, after all.

I'd like to know which Ryzen CPU you would recommend for a gaming/overclocking/rendering build. I'll be doing light-intermediate rendering before I become an advanced render.

Also, I'd like to know which GPU you recommend to be paired with any Ryzen CPU fpr 1080p and 1440p at 60FPS. Thank you!

mikeangs2004

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
To what extent are these CPU's stable enough to be utilized in the enterprise environment right away? Are APU's still a lower R&D priority compared to these high core count CPU's?

WOW welcome back Cleeve.

Hope you are having a great time @AMD.
Kind of miss your blunt to the point reviews.
Although Crashman is down to the point blunt in his reviews still.
Your brutal honesty was always welcome.

cleeve

Illustrious

Hey, thanks man! :)

cleeve

Illustrious

Personally, I would have no reservations. Its a crazy good part.

Not at all. Ryzen-based APUs are well on their way. I think it's great that we could stagger releases to make sure we could give each part the proper focus it deserves.

cleeve

Illustrious

Hey man, no need to apologize. A non-critical consumer is a sheep. The world has too many of those. AMD needed to prove itself, but the good news is that Ryzen did it.

If you plan to render at all, get the best Ryzen you can afford. It's that simple. The good news is that at every price point you're getting rendering performance that blows away the pre-Ryzen status quo, which was 4 threads below $275 (we deliver 12), and 8 threads under $400 (we deliver 16).

Honestly, you can get great 1440p game performance with a Radeon 480 or GeForce 1060 under $200. Only spend more if you want to crank up detail levels and AA, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.