Joining The Masses: Building My First Gaming PC, Part 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I imagine the author learned a lot from this experience and has a much better idea of what they would do next time, kudos to getting your hands wet. Obvious thought went into your purchases but to me it kinda looks like buying a turbo for a used beater car the way your budget is aligned (higher fidelity parts could have been purchased and a GPU could have been put on hold).

If you do run into that problem with a GPU you should remove the cover; not only is it a lot easier, but you could have bent the pins, crimped the wires, etc.

Just as some z97 boards provide better PCIe layout, some z97 boards don't offer PCI Express or M.2 connectivity: Gigabyte G1.Gaming Z97 case in point.

Nolan Campbell

Reputable
May 9, 2015
This is funny - I remember back in the day having to build my own PC's to get decent specs. I guess I am old now because I feel like there are plenty of off the shelf options without having to build anything. Yup I am old! lol

sire_angelus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
i've built almost the same pc, but i used an msi gd-45, 280x, no optical drive, and an i7 4770k. Great case for the price.
I found out that the i3 was greatly unsufficent to drive the 280x in many occasions. I suggest switching to an i5 4670k, i bought the i7 just cause i found a second- hand one for the price of the i5

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
While an H97 is supposed to be a Z97 minus the overclocking, that isn't always the case. Motherboard manufacturers want you to buy the more expensive board, so they skimp on other features like USB ports/headers. So overclocking is not the only reason to buy a Z97. Depending on your setup, the higher-end board might be what you need, regardless of your CPU type.

Grenate

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Ouch. You really should have stuck with the Seagate. Western Digital is flat out terrible. Seagate is hardly any better but I can say without a douvt that WD is the worst of the more trusted HD manufacturers. Have literally never owned a hard drive from them, in the past 15 years, that didn't die prematurely.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Yup, I've done this loads of times, obtained half a dozen 2700Ks (all run at 5GHz no problem), 2500K, 3930Ks, 3970X, etc. The continued potency of a 2500K is probably why it still sells for so much 2nd-hand on eBay, excellent upgrade for someone who originally could only afford a basic i3 or lesser i5. Ditto 2600K/2700K.

Used parts are an excellent way to upgrade existing systems or build powerful new ones, eg. I recently completed a 2nd gaming PC, huge savings vs. buying normal-new (or an X99 rig which wouldn't offer any significant extra speed).

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.